Look behind the counter

Campus dining required to show health reports

Whether you “eat freshâ€Â or are trying to “think outside the bun,â€Â there are many restaurant options at Fresno State. What you may not know is that you have the right to walk into any restaurant and look at its health inspection report.

Health inspectors look for many things during routine inspections.

“We take food temperatures, refrigeration temperatures, look at the employees and make sure they’re in good health,â€Â said Damean Jackson of the Fresno County Health Department. “We also make sure the building is clean with no rats.â€Â

How well do campus eateries meet regulations?

To find out just how clean the Fresno State restaurants are, The Collegian conducted an investigation of its own.

Juice it Up! needed a boost for its paper towels, as the restaurant was docked for placing its paper towels on the table instead of in a dispenser. The establishment was also docked for not storing its boxes of food, napkins and lids in their proper place.

Subway, Panda Express and Chick-Fil-A were in the clear with no violations reported. However, it was noted on Chick-Fil-A̢۪s inspection report that the restaurant had fixed its violations from the previous inspection.

The Union Snack Bar had two violations. There were boxes of utensils stored in the electrical closet, and the dipper well at the ice cream station, which is used to rinse the ice cream scooper, was turned off.

“Restaurant inspections are important because they protect the public from food-borne illnesses. While inspections don’t eliminate them entirely, they act as a preventive to minimize outbreaks of illness due to contaminated food,â€Â health science expert Jessica Gocke said.

One Fresno State student had a complaint about cleanliness, but it wasn̢۪t about a restaurant. It was about the underground dining area.

“Sometimes the tables aren’t clean; they’re greasy and have crumbs,â€Â Hnoua Moua, a senior health development major, said.

However, Moua said she doesn̢۪t pay much attention to what̢۪s behind the counter.

Jackson said inspectors are supposed to check the whole restaurant completely, including dining areas.

Health horrors

Inspections usually occur twice a year, depending on the county. In addition, restaurants are always inspected if a citizen files a complaint with the Environmental Health Department, Gocke, who used to be a health inspector herself, said.

She remembers one shocking inspection that she calls the worst.

“The establishment had insect issues, mice and really unsanitary practices,â€Â Gocke said. “I ended up closing the establishment and worked with the owners to get things clean and the insects and mice eradicated as well as a daily plan to maintain cleanliness and sanitation.â€Â

Two campus restaurants lacking reports

The Vintage Room and The Bucket did not have a copy of their inspection report available at the time. The Fresno County Health Department was notified and emphasized that all restaurants are required to have a copy on hand and show it to anyone who wishes to see it.

$100
$500

$100
$500

tashabayJan 22, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Hey– I’m looking for a highschool friend that I lost contact with- could this be you?
    if it is would like to reconnect.

Was the whoa factor located in the horror section?

tashabayJan 23, 2009 at 1:17 am

if it is would like to reconnect.