Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Candidate Jaden Baker, a current freshman running for ASI president. He presented five core pillars which he is gearing his campaign toward.

Letter to the editor: Why you should vote Jaden Baker for ASI president

Hey, Bulldogs! My name is Jaden Baker, and I’m running for the 2024 ASI presidential election alongside my slate of Nicholas Monroe and Seth Mays. I am running not just as a candidate, but as a fellow student deeply invested in our shared future at Fresno State. In high school, I began exploring leadership and community involvement, and that passion has only grown here at Fresno State. As a recipient of the Maxime Mcdonald Residential Scholarship, I’ve experienced firsthand the challenges and triumphs of being a student striving for success.

It’s a journey that many of us are on, balancing academics with our personal growth. As President of the re-established Black Student Union, we’ve worked together to build a community that celebrates diversity and fosters inclusion. With over 80 registered members and significant accomplishments, it’s a testament to what we can achieve when we unite with a common purpose.

Our efforts go beyond just numbers; they’re about making real, impactful connections. My Afro-Latino heritage has given me a unique perspective, bridging two vibrant cultures. Here at Fresno State, we can all be bridge-builders, connecting our varied experiences to create a more inclusive and understanding campus culture. We’re here to change the narrative, creating support systems and programs that cater to the needs of every student.

Our mission is to ensure no one is left behind because of where they come from. This vision is about us – students, faculty and administration – collaborating to create a campus that reflects our shared values and aspirations. We bring fresh perspectives and energy that is essential for fostering change and innovation. As president, I plan to place my focus within my five Pillars, which have been formed through the feedback of the students.

First, the revitalization of paths and walkways both on and around campus are of utmost importance; we need to truly connect Fresno State to its surroundings and create a much safer night walk for our students.

Second, we groups are the heartbeat of our campus, and I believe they deserve more support and better accessibility in regard to resources. Win or lose in this election, I’ve got a plan I’m really passionate about – setting up a ‘Club Union.’ This would be an amazing way for all our clubs to unionize, support one another, and collectively bargain with those in high positions to create changes we would like to see. This would also allow clubs easier access in regards to collaboration, and would allow us to work together in creating an ecosystem of support.

Third, on the academic side, we can drastically improve the academic support for those coming from marginalized communities. Students from marginalized communities whose grades reflect such should not be placed back into almost the exact same community in regard to support. I plan to propose a mentorship program with the purpose of uplifting students and working to create an environment they can thrive in.

Fourth, I personally feel advocacy is the bare minimum. However, it would be a start for Fresno State and our Palestinian students. We need to look past just advocacy and work to actively support our students. We need to work to ensure our student’s money is not supporting the genocide of over 30,000 and counting.

Fifth, considering my young age, both sustainability and longevity are already built into my campaign. Should I be elected, I can assure this campus they will have a strong leader for the next few years, and I promise to work in order to ensure our progress isn’t erased the moment we graduate.

In closing, our aim isn’t just to be under the Fresno State name. We’re here to build a community that values every member’s identity and contributions. A community where diversity, inclusion and support are not just words but actions we live by every day. My people have worked too hard to ensure we never lose sight of where our roots lie. However, we need to come together in this space and create the community we so want and desire. Thank you!