Photo courtesy of Alex Soto for University Theatre
Kenneth Balint directs the ensemble but also actively controls the lights, audio and recordings for the ensemble.

Contemporary Dance Ensemble embraces unity with ‘Extrapolations 2024’

As the lights dimmed and anticipation buzzed through the air, the theater transformed into a mix of movement and emotion.

Family and friends took their seats with colorful bouquets in hand, as their eager whispers filled the auditorium.

Families, friends and passionate dancers gathered in the John W. Wright Theatre on Feb. 9 for “Extrapolations 2024,” a dance concert by Fresno State’s Contemporary Dance Ensemble.

The concert has seven carefully curated pieces from different student choreographers and professionals. The pieces explore themes such as the intricacies of life, passion and relationships while embracing the beauty of improv and the joy of movement.

“We learned so much,” said Aliana Cabuhat, a dancer for the Contemporary Dance Ensemble. “I never thought it was possible to do. From the residencies and outside choreographers, it was just amazing to see them challenge themselves as artists.”

“Extrapolations 2024” will continue to run until Feb. 17. (Photo courtesy of Alex Soto for University Theatre)

From tender, diverse and passionate to fun, joyful and expressive pieces, the show was consistently engaging with the dancers captivating the audience throughout.

Deep breaths and powerful claps were prevalent throughout the entirety of the show, keeping with the theme of passion and movement.

Floorwork was also prevailing. Some dancers demonstrated crawling on the floor as “struggling” and some choreographers worked in some acrobatics and flexibility.

In one of the last pieces, “Severed Fate,” dancers entered the stage in flowy white outfits with their hands attached to one another with long red strings.

“The piece that resonated the best with me would be Collin Bresenios ‘Severed Fate,’” said Jose Escobar Lemus, dancer for the Contemporary Dance Ensemble. “It just really connects with me and really tugs on your heartstrings. I can really put 110% into it, like my whole mind and soul.”

The concert was organized by Kenneth Balint, artistic director of the Contemporary Dance Ensemble. Balint is also a professor at Fresno State in the Department of Theater and Dance.

“As the director, I rehearsed them all,” Balint said. “Even pieces that aren’t mine, which is one thing I really love because every choreographer was a little different. You almost have to try and become that choreographer to understand the intent of their creation.”

Balint was seated in the back controlling lights, audio and recording each dance. He was also the first one to clap after each piece was finished.

“Clap like you’re two people,” he told audience members.

As the final curtain fell and applause erupted through the theater, it was evident that “Extrapolations 2024” had left an indelible mark on all in attendance.

With its captivating performances and masterful choreography, the show proved to be a true testament to the talent and dedication of Fresno State’s Contemporary Dance Ensemble.

The concert was a celebration of artistry, passion and the boundless possibilities of movement.

“Extrapolations 2024” demonstrates dancers’ abilities of acrobatics and flexibility. (Photo courtesy of Alex Soto for University Theatre)

“Dancers are always tired until they walk out on stage, and then they’re full of life again, and that’s the wonderful part of it,” Balint said.

“Extrapolations 2024” will continue to be held through Feb. 13-17 at 7:30 p.m. at the John W. Wright Theatre. Tickets can be purchased online, or at the box office before the concert.