The+Fresno+State+football+team+raises+football+on+Oct.+28%2C+2023.+
Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
The Fresno State football team raises football on Oct. 28, 2023.

Fresno State football announces intention to join EA Sports

Fresno State football intends to join College Football 25 Electronic Arts Sports new video game that will revive the popular College Football video game series. 

The program posted a teaser today on X with the caption, “WE’RE IN THE GAME.”

Fresno State is one of 134 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that will lend their likeness to the video game.

EA Sports said that a full reveal of the game will come sometime in May.

College Football 25 will be the first College Football game to be released since 2013. The game went on a hiatus due to an antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA, which forced the creation of the video game to be halted.

The basis of the lawsuit called into question whether the NCAA should be paying student athletes fairly for the use of their name, image and likeness. Back in 2013, the NCAA ruled that athletes couldn’t be paid in any way for their benefit. Athletes wanted to be paid to be in the game.

This lawsuit is the main reason why we have the NIL program now. According to an article from The Athletic, the NCAA will reach out to players and offer them $600 and a free copy of the game to get them to opt in and be included in the game. 

Some Fresno State players who could opt into the game, making them playable characters, are quarterback Mikey Keene, running back Malik Sherrod, wide receiver Josiah Freeman and linebacker Phoenix Jackson.  

“This is probably the most excited I’ve been for a new video game in a long time,” said Cameron Smith, Fresno State alumnus. 

While EA Sports has not yet confirmed an official release date for the game, they have hinted at its release coming sometime in July. 

The game will be playable on PS5 and Xbox One X/S consoles.