Taylor Kellams/The Collegian
Planet Vegan offers a variety of vegan eats from burgers to fries with Beyond meat on top.

Food review: Planet Vegan returns with a new brick-and-mortar restaurant

After the explosion that left its food truck in shambles, Planet Vegan is making a comeback with a new restaurant that offers a wide variety of vegan burgers perfect for everyone to enjoy. 

On June 24 2022, the food truck and the pickup hauling it went up in flames, injuring two people, including owner Joe Ellis, who was severely burned. Through donations and perseverance, the food truck franchise was able to make a comeback as the Planet Vegan restaurant was born. 

Planet Vegan stands out as a vibrant, contemporary restaurant bustling with activity. It is distinguished by its welcoming staff and a menu filled with delectable, plant-based dishes. It is located at 7845 N Palm Ave. in the Park Place plaza.

The plant-based burger restaurant menu includes options such as plant-based chicken sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches and classic burgers with many different sides to choose from, including waffle fries, sweet potato fries and galaxy fries smothered in imitation beef and jalapeño aioli sauce. 

When I arrived at Planet Vegan around 7 p.m., it was just starting to get busy with laughter buzzing around the restaurant. Being an anxious person, I always look at menus beforehand to figure out exactly what I will order, but this was not the case at Planet Vegan. The menu is straightforward and extremely easy to navigate, along with the staff to help me make the best food choices. Ordering here was a relieving breeze.

For $40, my partner and I got two single vegan burgers, a side of waffle fries, a side of sweet potato fries and a fountain drink. 

I waited around 13 minutes for my food. A lot of customers came in all at once and soon enough, orders were stacked with people excited to enjoy savory vegan food.

I grabbed my order from the pickup window and sat at my table with my partner, Xandria, where we enjoyed a juicy, savory burger topped with onion, pickles, lettuce and tomato, crispy waffle fries and a thirst-quenching root beer. 

The burger delighted me with its ideal size and pleasant flavor. The addition of veggie toppings provided precisely the right balance for the veggie burger. It captured the essence of a satisfying meal at a cozy burger spot.

Some might argue the burgers could have benefited from a larger bun, as the current proportions felt slightly off. The burgers could have been more satisfyingly filling with a heartier bread option. 

The highlight for me was the waffle fries that were cooked to perfection with a great crunch. Despite the tempting array of eight different sauces, I opted for classic ketchup, which paired beautifully with the fries’ salty taste. 

To elevate the experience, more seasoning on the fries would have provided a delightful contrast to the sweet, flavorful burger. This balance of flavors would have truly made the meal perfect.

While I’m typically not a fan of sweet potato fries, I must admit that these were exceptional. They had a great sweet flavor that contrasted the savory waffle fries wonderfully. 

I’ll admit, $40 for two burgers, two fries and a drink does seem a bit outrageous to enjoy a comfort meal. However, supporting a locally-owned, small business makes the money worthwhile. 

The wide array of options stood out to me at Planet Vegan. From double-stacked burgers to a kale chicken caesar salad, there is an option for everyone, including lettuce-wrapped burger options, gluten-free buns and pretzel buns. 

Aside from vegans, I recommend Planet Vegan for those looking for a comforting meal close to home, as it is a great way to keep your money local and enjoy good eats. 

Planet Vegan is open Tuesday-Friday 11:30 a.m.- 9 p.m., Saturday 12-9 p.m. and Sunday 12-8 p.m.