About us
The Asian Pacific Review is one of four ethnic supplements published within The Collegian, Fresno State’s student-run newspaper. APR is the Asian and Pacific Islander voice on campus writing about issues that are important to students in the AAPI community. Catch up on previous issues of APR at fscollegian.com/ethnic or visit our Facebook page @aprfresno. If you have questions, comments or a story idea, please email editor-in- chief Valentino Di Pietro Hernandez at [email protected].
Nubci Her in traditional Hmong clothing. Photo provided by Nubci Her
Hmong American sophomore pursues passion in acting
Mar 22, 2024
This black and white photo taken in May 1982 shows Japanese manga artist Akira Toriyama, whose death was announced on March 8, 2024. Publishing house Shueisha said in a statement that it was greatly saddened by the sudden news of his death. The 68-year-old was the author of the hugely popular and influential titles Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.  (STR/JIJI Press/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)
Remembering Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama
Mar 22, 2024
Photo by Andre Avila-Villanueva/Asian Pacific Review.
Fresno State Art History Club’s first collaboration with the zoo
Mar 11, 2024

Engineering society celebrates diversity, student engagement, professional development

Photo courtesy of Joseph Igot

Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers, also known as SASE, is a nonprofit, nationwide organization committed to advancing Asian students and professionals to their fullest career potential, while also creating welcoming communities for all. Fresno State has a unique chapter of SASE in which anyone can join no matter their race or ethnicity.

There are about 85 active college chapters of SASE around the country. When it comes to the Fresno State chapter, they are unlike any other.

The Fresno State chapter of SASE focuses on celebrating diversity among the students, helping develop their professional careers and student involvement with engaging activities. 

“Our goal is that the guidance that [club members or students] receive and the fun that they have in our events will contribute to their academic and professional success,” said Joseph Igot, a sophomore majoring in electrical engineering, and president of the Fresno State chapter. 

In October, SASE sent 15 students to the SASE National Conference in Atlanta, Georgia, fully funded from the cost of hotels to the event and the flights. Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers

The SASE National Conference is one of the largest conventions for Asian American students and professionals. Recruiters from more than 70 companies interview candidates and hire them on-site, which increases the likelihood of receiving a  job offer compared to the traditional application process. 

This provides multiple valuable experiences for students, including being able to find jobs related to their major, networking opportunities with others, and provides insight into the process of professional interviews. 

Even if the students don’t get recruited or intend to find a job, the conference also provided leadership development workshops, and networking opportunities outside of recruiting. It displayed Asian American leaders all over the nation, both at the collegiate and professional standings. 

Most importantly the students all had fun from enjoying each other’s company and truly having a good time outside of career development. 

Outside of career growth opportunities, the SASE club also holds events on the Fresno State campus for all students to join. They regularly do movie nights, but also hold karaoke, food socials and gaming tournaments. Just recently they had a SASE & The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers joint movie night, where they watched an anime movie called “Spirited Away” along with food and drinks.

Everyone who attended the joint movie night had smiles across their faces and a great time together. Enjoying the pizza and movie was what everyone needed after the midterms. 

The purpose of these is to give members a chance to meet other people, provide an outlet to destress, and encourage them to be more active at school overall,” Igot said.  

Besides being just a professional organization, the SASE club shows, in these events, that it’s just not just about your career. Socializing and meeting new people is an excellent way to destress from school, especially over food and a movie.

The SASE club is devoted to equipping Asian heritage scientists and engineering majors with the skills necessary to be successful in and outside college, but is also inclusive to other races joining. 

SASE is a welcoming community amongst all Fresno State students and future generations to come, to guide future generations and in coming classes with acceptance.

For more information about joining SASE, email  [email protected] or follow the Fresno State chapter on Instagram to see upcoming events.