Component Coffee is the heart of Tower District and is always bustling with customers. (Sarah Delgado/The Collegian)

These Top 5 indie coffee joints offer rich espressos and studious spaces

Whether you’re looking for a peaceful place to study, a bustling social hub or simply a spot to unwind, Fresno’s coffee scene offers a wide spectrum of options, ensuring that every coffee lover can find their perfect place to savor a cup of liquid motivation.

It’s no secret that I often find myself spending more time in coffee shops than in class. The warm ambiance, rich coffee aroma and the gentle hum of espresso machines make them a hard place to resist.

1. Component Coffee Lab

Component Coffee Lab is arguably one of my favorite local coffee shops. It’s located on 620 E. Olive Ave. As soon as you step foot inside you are met with a variety of plants hanging over the tables, a bulletin board filled with local events and organizations and the welcoming smell of coffee. 

One thing that plays a huge role in the amount of work I do is the amount of space I have. At Component Coffee Lab, there are plenty of places to sit and talk, read and do homework. There is also a patio that wraps around the building from the front to the side, and is the perfect place to enjoy some fresh air while tackling assignments.

The coffee at Component Coffee Lab is the best I have tasted. The lattes never disappoint and the bagels are perfectly toasted. Their menu offers gluten-free and vegan options, but those are only available until noon.

I got a vanilla latte with oat milk ($6.50). For the atmosphere and the quality of the coffee, I definitely expected the price to be a lot higher. 

Overall, Component Coffee Lab deserves to be at the top of the list. When sitting and enjoying a cup of coffee, it doesn’t feel like Fresno. The aesthetically pleasing environment makes for a picture-perfect study session. 

The Mug offers more than coffee with a wide selection of tea, pastries and blended drinks. (Sarah Delgado/The Collegian)

2. The Mug

The Mug Community Coffee Shop, located on 1137 E Champlain Drive, is a place I found about a year ago on my search for the best latte in Fresno. 

I walked into The Mug, and was met with a brand new building that was just starting up. Although there weren’t many decorations when I first found out about it, as an avid visitor, I have had the joy of watching the business grow. 

For $6.00, I got an oat milk vanilla latte, well worth the price. The latte does have a fairly strong coffee taste and as someone who enjoys a sweeter coffee, this was a surprise. If you enjoy the taste of coffee, their lattes are a great choice. 

The Mug is the ultimate haven for those seeking an environment free of distractions and conducive to focused study sessions. 

Nestled in a quiet corner of the city, it is designed with students in mind, offering an oasis of concentration. With its serene, minimalistic decor, soft ambient lighting and a carefully curated playlist that serves as the perfect study soundtrack, The Mug eliminates external disruptions. 

If your goal is to escape distractions and dive deep into your studies, The Mug is a go-to destination for unwavering focus, academic success, rich tasting and delightful coffee.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf also offers name-brand coffee or tea tins for customers to make their favorite drinks at home. (Sarah Delgado/The Collegian)

3. The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

I found myself at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, located on 8462 N. Friant Road., right when they opened at 6 a.m., perfect for some early morning coffee and study sessions. 

The atmosphere is cozy, with low music, not a ton of people and great seating areas. The only thing to keep in mind is that their coffee is on the pricier side. This location has great outdoor seating, plenty of tables and shaded areas, where I spend most of my time. 

Their coffee selection is a testament to their dedication to quality. An oat milk vanilla latte came out to be around $7.50, and is worth every penny. 

Not to be overshadowed by the coffee, but their tea selection is equally impressive. With a wide variety of loose-leaf teas and unique tea blends, they cater to tea lovers with the same level of dedication and expertise. From traditional black teas to vibrant herbal infusions, the tea menu offers something for everyone.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is more than just a coffee shop, it’s a retreat from the urban chaos. The moment you step through the doors, you’re greeted by a warm and inviting atmosphere that instantly soothes your soul. The soft, ambient lighting, cozy seating and mellow tunes create the perfect environment for relaxation or catching up with friends.

Cafe Van Ness is located beside a plant nursery, allowing customers to also browse a large selection of seasonal flowers. (Sarah Delgado/The Collegian)

4. Cafe Van Ness

Cafe Van Ness, located within Gazebo Gardens on 3204 N. Van Ness Blvd., is a hidden gem that seamlessly blends the soothing qualities of a plant nursery with the comforting embrace of a cozy cafe.

I discovered Cafe Van Ness when browsing the plant section. I stumbled across a beautiful outdoor seating area and decided to see what they had to offer. 

As you enter, you’re greeted by the greenery of the nursery, where a vibrant assortment of plants and flowers basks in the sunlight. The scent of blooming blossoms mingles with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, creating a unique and inviting experience.

While the cafe may not have an extensive array of coffee and food options, there’s just the right balance, offering a carefully curated selection that ensures quality and satisfaction in every choice.

I ordered an iced oat milk vanilla latte and the total was $5.25. 

What captured my attention was the seating areas. When at the cafe, there are three outdoor tables that are almost always occupied, however if you follow the trail of greenery into the nursery, you are met with large outstretched tables with plenty of seating. 

Surrounded by an oasis of plants as I tackle my homework, I find myself both focused and inspired by the vibrant greenery that surrounds my workspace.

Kuppa Joy is known for its Christian faith iconography. (Sarah Delgado/The Collegian)

5. Kuppa Joy

Although I do not go to Kuppa Joy often, it definitely deserves a spot on this list. The giant throne plastered to the side of the wall makes for an interesting, almost intimidating, experience. 

There are four sit-down locations nearby, one on Cedar Avenue, Echo Avenue, Clovis Avenue and one on 6011 N Palm Ave. The Echo location is the one I visit the most. 

The atmosphere at Kuppa Joy is unmatched. Dimly lit, soft music and the roar of people’s voices doesn’t make for the best place to study, but it makes a perfect sit down and chat experience. 

Ordering an oat milk vanilla latte totals to $6.00, which is a great price for this freshly brewed coffee. 

I have been here a few times with my backpack hoping to find a place to sit and do homework, but every time I am let down seeing the crowded shoulder to shoulder seating and the long line of desperate people ordering a cup of coffee.

I haven’t found any luck doing homework here, but if you are looking to sit down and chat over a cup of coffee, this is the place for you. 

Delectable coffee, a plethora of food items and a laid-back environment is what you will find at Kuppa Joy. 

It’s a place where the beauty of nature and the simple pleasure of sipping coffee come together in perfect harmony, offering a serene and rejuvenating escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.