Student Health Center provides a variety of services to Fresno State students at no extra cost

The+Student+Health+and+Counseling+Center+at+Fresno+State+is+located+at+5044+N.+Barton+Ave.+

Vendila Yang/The Collegian

The Student Health and Counseling Center at Fresno State is located at 5044 N. Barton Ave.

By Jiselle Cardenas, News Editor

The Student Health and Counseling Center is the most accessible way for Fresno State students to get health care on campus, and the services provided are included in their tuition.

“Students do not need to provide insurance. Services are covered by Student Health Fees,” said Dr. Robert Mitchell, director of Medical Services.

Mitchell said the health center offers a variety of services to students.

Medical and wellness examinations can be scheduled by appointment. Students can get lab work, X-rays and immunizations as well.

The health center also has its own pharmacy with over-the-counter and prescription medications at subsidized prices.

Some prescriptions carried include abortion pills, antidepressants and inhalers. Allergy pills, contraception, Mucinex, condoms and pregnancy tests are some over-the-counter items available.

Sexual health education, along with sexual health services are provided. These resources range from birth control to physical exams and testing.

Gender affirming care is also offered in the form of hormone treatment, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), STI screening and treatment, support for referrals, pap smears, prostate and other physical exams.

“With a continued dedication for ongoing support of all students, our team has been specially trained in gender identity exploration and concerns that transgender, non-binary and gender-expansive students commonly experience,” according to the center’s website.

Counseling and psychological services are also available for students who would like to speak with a counselor via Zoom or in person. This includes individual therapy, group therapy, crisis services, Let’s Talk, case management and psychiatry services.

Let’s Talk is a counseling service that helps students access immediate assistance from a licensed therapist, anonymously, on a drop-in basis. Let’s Talk services are available to students on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

All counseling sessions are typically 50 minutes long and can be made by calling (559) 278-2734 or filling out an interest form.

There is also survivor advocacy is readily available for students or staff and faculty who have been affected by sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence and stalking.

Mitchell shared with The Collegian how important it is for students to utilize the resources presented to them.

“Students should take advantage of mental health services available to them. There is no waitlist and visits are free for enrolled students,” he said.

Students can access their health forms and schedule appointments through their respective student Health Portal.

The Student Health and Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. and is located at 5044 N. Barton Avenue M/S HC 81, south of the Library and across Parking Lot 30.

The “easier” way students can get assistance is by making an appointment with front desk staff at (559) 278-2734, Mitchell said.

For more information, visit its website or stay updated via Instagram @FSHealthCenter.

Correction: An earlier version of this story included an incorrect phone number for the Student Health and Counseling Center.