Resources on campus provide assistance to first-generation, low-income or struggling Fresno State students

Students+can+walk+east+past+the+campus+fountain+toward+the+Joyal+Administration+Building+for+resources+like+the+Dream+Success+Center+and+Educational+Opportunity+Program.+

Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian

Students can walk east past the campus fountain toward the Joyal Administration Building for resources like the Dream Success Center and Educational Opportunity Program.

By Carlos Rene Castro, Multimedia Reporter

Here are some notable resources and programs at Fresno State to look out for:

Dream Success Center

Another program on campus that is dedicated to serving first-generation students is the Dream Success Center, which supports undocumented students with various services to foster academic success.

Transitioning from high school to college can be daunting for first-generation students who may need guidance on campus.

To combat this, the Dream Success Center offers 1-on-1, peer mentoring to first-time freshmen to provide students with a sense of belonging. It also helps students keep track of their Degree Progress Reports.

Freshmen students are paired up with an upper-division Dreamer student and have monthly meetings for support, in which students can ask questions or seek advice from their adviser. 

“It’s so important that they know that the Dream Center is there as a freshman because this is their first exposure to the university,” said Diana Rea Flores, coordinator of the Dream Success Center.

The center also offers free immigration-level services to students and CSU employees from the Immigrant Legal Defense, a nonprofit agency that provides immigration legal services. Attorneys help students and employees apply for a DACA renewal and avoid the hassle of paying hefty fees to an outside organization.

Students interested in the services from the Dream Success Center can make an appointment with Flores by emailing her at [email protected].

There is no application process to be part of the Dream Success Center.

The Dream Success Center is in the Joyal Administration Building, Room 224. During the summer, it is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Regular hours during the semester are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For information about the center’s program, visit the Dream Success Center’s website or contact its office at (559)278-1787.

Educational Opportunity Program

The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) offers various programs to students that are first-generation, low-income or are struggling with their education. 

Programs under EOP are meant to guide students to achieve their personal and academic goals through one-to-one mentoring and educational support to ensure academic success

Some include the Summer Bridge Program, the Renaissance Scholars Program and the Office of Black Student Success.

Students must first qualify to be eligible and meet the EOP income criteria. To learn more information about the requirements, visit the “Admission and Eligibility” tab of the EOP website. 

For more information about EOP, visit its office at the Joyal Administration Building, Room 224, or contact it directly at (559) 278-1787 or visit the EOP website.

Summer Bridge Program

Summer Bridge is a two-week residential program that allows incoming first-year students to learn about the transition from high school to college. 

During the two weeks, students live in the dorms, explore the Fresno State campus, experience the college atmosphere and review their Fall 2023 schedule .

Incoming freshmen admitted to Fresno State for Fall 2023 are also eligible to participate in the program but priority is given to EOP students.   

The dates for this summer program are Sunday, July 9, 2023, to Friday, July 21, 2023. If students have questions about the program, they can email [email protected].  

The Renaissance Scholars Program (RSP)

The Renaissance Scholars Program is designed to help current and former foster youth students pursue their undergraduate degrees. 

The program provides students with activities that foster independent living skills, social support and develop leadership skills.

Incoming freshmen, transfer and continuing undergraduate students who experienced foster care and unaccompanied homeless youth are encouraged to seek services from the RSP. 

Applications for the RSP open on October 1 by visiting “Apply” on the RSP website.

The Office of Black Student Success 

The Office of Black Student Success provides academic support to students of African descent by providing students with financial backing through scholarships and financial aid. 

Students can apply here to receive services from the Office of Black Student Success. If you have any questions or concerns, contact the office at (559) 278-1787 or visit the Office of Black Student Success website for more information.