Fresno State tennis finishes season with second-round Mountain West Championship loss

Bulldog+Carlotta+Nonnis+Marzano+waits+for+a+hit+in+the+Mountain+West+Championships+at+the+Darling+Tennis+Center+in+Las+Vegas.+

Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Bulldog Carlotta Nonnis Marzano waits for a hit in the Mountain West Championships at the Darling Tennis Center in Las Vegas.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

After upsetting Nevada in the first round of the Mountain West Championships, the Fresno State tennis team closed out its season with a second round loss to UNLV. 

This year the championships were hosted at the Darling Tennis Center in Las Vegas. 

The ‘Dogs came into the tournament as the second to last seed, but some players earned conference accolades prior to the championship action. 

Pang Jittakoat earned Mountain West Player of the Year for the second consecutive year. She finished undefeated in conference play with an 8-0 record. 

Senior Cristina Flaquer and Matilde Magrini also earned Mountain West accolades. Flaquer was named to the All-Mountain West singles team, while Magrini picked up her second straight conference doubles team honors. 

Jittakoat and Magrini also went into the championships nationally ranked No. 50 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. 

Fresno State 4, Nevada 2 (April 26) 

In the first round, Fresno State faced seventh seed Nevada. In the doubles, the ‘Dogs got the doubles point via wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. 

The Jittakoat and Flaquer duo, as well as Carlotta Nonnis Marzano and Carolina Piferi, pulled in the point for the ‘Dogs in the doubles competition. 

In the singles, Fresno State finished with three wins and one unfinished match. Jittakoat defeated Wolf Pack’s Anastasia Luneva with a score of 6-2, 6-1. 

Piferi also won in the singles against Mariana Campino. She pulled off the win with scores of 7-5, 5-7, 6-2. 

Marzano defeated Wolf Pack’s Audrey Moutama, while freshman Bulldog Mariya Vyshkina’s match went unfinished. 

The ‘Dogs took down the Wolf Pack in the first round with a final score of 4-2. 

Fresno State 1, UNLV 4 (April 27)

The ‘Dogs were taken out of the championships with a loss to UNLV. 

UNLV swept the board in the doubles, winning two out of the three matches with the last going unfinished.

In the singles, Jittakoat was the only Bulldog to finish the season with a win. She finished first, defeating Rebel Molly Helgesson with scores 6-3, 6-0. 

Piferi’s and Vyshkina’s singles matches went unfinished. 

The Fresno State tennis team’s season came to an end in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Championships.