Fresno State baseball gets the quick upper hand in UNLV series

Trevor+Garcia+pitches+for+the+Diamond+Dogs+at+Pete+Beiden+field+at+Bob+Bennett+Stadium.+

Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian

Trevor Garcia pitches for the Diamond ‘Dogs at Pete Beiden field at Bob Bennett Stadium.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

The Diamond ‘Dogs are home for their final Mountain West regular season series against the Hustlin’ Rebels. 

In the last matchup this season against UNLV, Fresno State took the series in dominant fashion, sweeping it, 3-0. Fresno State currently stands in the middle of the Mountain West standings at fourth, while UNLV is at sixth.

The Diamond ‘Dogs opened the 3-game series with an 11-4 win on Friday, May 12.

The scoring started early in the bottom of the first with a left-field home run by Nikoh Mitchell, taking the ‘Dogs up on the board, 1-0.  

In the second inning, the Rebels got on the board bringing in two runs. Jason Sharman singled into left field, allowing Austin Kryszczuk and Edarian Williams to bring the Rebel’s lead to 2-1. 

Tyler Davis had a quick answer in the bottom of the second as he tied the game with a homer to left field. After that, Travis Welker hit a single and then brought it to third base after Grady Morgan hit into the right field. Welker then brought in the third run for the ‘Dogs off of a wild pitch, 3-2.

Mitchell then stepped on the plate and hit another home run, giving Fresno State a 5-2 lead at the end of the second. 

The Diamond ‘Dogs would continue with this momentum through the fourth and fifth inning, holding the Hustlin’ Rebels scoreless and bringing in four total runs. Morgan homered to right field running in Ben Newtown in the third, and Marco Pirruccello ran in Tommy Hopfe with another home run in the fourth. 

In the top of the fifth, UNLV earned its third run via an Alex Pimentel home run to left field, cutting the lead 9-3. But in that same inning, Morgan scored another run for the ‘Dogs extending their lead to seven.

Neither team scored in the sixth inning. In the seventh, both teams split even points, only scoring one each. Jacob Sharp earned the final run for UNLV with a homer to left field. 

In the bottom, five-time MW Freshman of the Week Murf Gray brought in the last run sealing the win for the Diamond ‘Dogs, 11-4. 

Fresno State will continue its series against UNLV with a game on May 13, at 3:05 p.m and the final game on Sunday, May 14 at 1:05 p.m.