Women’s rugby seniors look ahead at the chance to play with the U.S. National team

Senior+Chetna+Kumar+runs+with+the+ball+during+the+match+against+Cal+on+April+1.+

Marcos Acosta/The Collegian

Senior Chetna Kumar runs with the ball during the match against Cal on April 1.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

The Fresno State women’s rugby team held its senior day game on April 1 at the Kinesiology field. The team lost to the University of California, Berkeley, 44-10, but players look forward to what the following months will bring. 

The loss closed off the season’s 15s competitions, but now will lead into the 7s competitions. 

Some of the seniors will also have a shot to compete for a spot on the national stage. 

Fresno State Head Coach Michelle Maldonado told The Collegian what she thought of her seniors during the tough loss. 

“The overall performance for the seniors was amazing,” she said. 

Fresno State and Cal sets up for a scrum. (Marcos Acosta/The Collegian)

For some, the season isn’t over.

So three seniors will have the opportunity to participate in a NorCal U23 pathway that leads to the women’s rugby national team.  

Maldonado said they’ll play a game in Seattle, Washington, on April 28, which is the deciding factor if they get selected. If selected, they will then compete in Des Moines, Iowa. 

One of those seniors is Chetna Kumar, who has been playing since her freshman year. She is a psychology major and plans to pursue her master’s degree in clinical and mental health at the University of Phoenix after graduating from Fresno State. 

She shared what the senior day experience was like for her. 

“It didn’t hit me until this morning. I was walking over here and was, like, ‘Oh my God, I’m a senior now.’ Kind of emotional that this is it with Fresno State,” Kumar said. 

DeLeon pushes through contact. (Marcos Acosta/The Collegian)

Another senior who will participate in the U23 pathway and 7s during the summer is Malena DeLeon. She is a kinesiology physical education major and has been on the Bulldog squad for five years.  

She, on the other hand, said that the senior feeling hasn’t hit her yet. 

“I think it’s because we know that we’re still going to be playing, so it’s not like our last game ever,” DeLeon said. 

Stephanie Elizondo is also a kinesiology physical education major and will participate with Kumar and DeLeon in the U23 pathway and 7s as well. She has been with the ‘Dogs for four-and-a-half years. Apr

“I don’t think it’s hit me yet,” she said. “It is a little bittersweet, though. I’m going to miss it for sure.”