New faces in the men’s basketball roster

Head+Coach+Justin+Hutson+celebrates+after+a+play+at+the+Save+Mart+Center.+

Blake Wolf/The Collegian

Head Coach Justin Hutson celebrates after a play at the Save Mart Center.

By Alexis Bruno, Reporter

The Fresno State men’s basketball team acquired three new faces to the roster from the NCAA transfer portal. 

After having several spots to fill, Fresno State Head Coach Justin Hutson added center Enoch Boakye from Arizona State, guard Xavier DuSell from Wyoming and guard Isaiah Pope from Utah Tech. 

Last season, Boakye only played 19 games, averaging 3.7 minutes and 0.7 points per game. Despite the 6-foot-10 center not seeing much playing time, he fills up some needed depth in the front courts with the transfer of center Isaiah Moore. Boakye enters Fresno State with two years of eligibility. 

Coming from three years of Mountain West experience, 6-foot-4 DuSell played in 29 games for the Cowboys last season, leading his team in 3-point shots. He averaged 26 minutes a game, averaging eight points per game and 2.6 rebounds. In the 2022-23 season, the Bulldogs finished at 30.8 percent from the 3-point line, a number that could be improved with DuSell in the backcourt.  

The Dogs’ newest addition to the team announced his commitment on Thursday, April 13 via Twitter: 

Pope started 28 games for the Trailblazers last season averaging 28.4 minutes, 13.1 points, 4 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game. He also maintained an 80.1 percent free throw shooting average. The 6-foot-6 guard brings experience and versatility to the Bulldogs’ roster.