Fresno State tennis leaves Reno with two wins

Pang+Jittakoat+runs+across+the+court+for+a+hit.+

Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian

Pang Jittakoat runs across the court for a hit.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

After losing three straight conference matches, the Fresno State tennis team left Reno with two wins. The ‘Dogs now stand in fifth place, with an overall record of 9-9 and conference record of 3-3. 

Fresno State has been earning Mountain West accolades throughout the season. Bulldog senior Pang Jittakoat was named player of the week four times this season, three of those done consecutively. Freshman Mariya Vyshkina has also collected Mountain West honors as freshman of the week three times. 

The ‘Dogs have been ranked in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s Top 75, currently charting at No. 63. In the doubles competitions, the Jittakoat and Matilde Magrini duo has also been moved up to No. 76 in the ITA rankings. 

Fresno State 4, Nevada 2 (April 6)

The first match of the trip was against Nevada. It started with doubles competition, where Jittakoat and Magrini placed first. They swept the Wolf Pack’s Mariana Campino and Amahee Charrier, 6-0. 

Bulldogs Carlotta Nonnis Marzano and Carolina Piferi also defeated Nevada’s Anastasia Luneva and Lou-Anne Guerbert with a final score of 7-5. 

The last doubles competition went unfinished, but Fresno State’s Cristina Flaquer and Vyshkina led the way, 4-5. 

In the singles, the ‘Dogs won 4-out-of-6 matches. Jittakoat took another win and finished first, with scores of 6-2, 6-4. Magrini finished right after with scores of 3-6, 6-3, 4-0 and one match unfinished. 

Flaquer defeated Guerbert with a score of 6-2 in the first set and 6-1 in the second. Piferi defeated Campino, 6-2, 6-3. 

Bulldogs Marzano and Vyshkina lost in the singles, but Fresno State still came out on top against Nevada, 4-2. 

Fresno State 4, San Jose State 1 (April 7) 

In the doubles, Jittakoat and Magrini finished first, defeating San Jose State’s Alba Pedrero Galindo and Irena Muradyan, 6-1. 

Spartans Raquela Pereira and Lara Marco Mas lost to Marzano and Piferi with the same score of 6-1. Flaquer and Vyshkina led the way within the first set, 2-3, but went unfinished. 

The ‘Dogs filled the scoreboards in the singles matches, with only Vyshkina falling short to Jovana Babic, 6-3, 7-5. 

The order of finishes started with Jittakoat who defeated Spartan Carolina Millan, with a score of 6-4, 6-4. Flaquer defeated Irena Muradyan, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. 

Piferi and Marzano’s matches went unfinished. 

The Bulldogs will head to San Diego for another weekend of Mountain West play. First up will be UNLV on April 15. Then they will face No. 49 San Diego State on April 16.