Fresno State quarterbacks battle at the 2023 Spring Preview

Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian

Logan Fife waits for the ball during the quarterback drills at the Spring Preview on April 15.

By Alexis Bruno, Reporter

The Red Wave filled the Fresno State tailgating parking lots for the Football Spring Preview on Saturday, April 15, at Valley Children’s Stadium. The scrimmage showcased a first glimpse of the 2023-24 season in a battle between the Bulldogs’ defense and offense.

Fresno State Head Coach Jeff Tedford described the balance he saw on both ends. 

“One side didn’t overwhelm the other, and each had success at certain points. So that’s a good sign,” Tedford said. 

Those attending hoped to get answers on who will be the starting quarterback for next season. It was a rough start for UCF transfer quarterback Mikey Keene, who started with a three-and-out series. 

UCF transfer, Mikey Keene, showcases his skills at Valley Childrens Stadium.  (Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian)

The Dogs’ have eight solid veterans returning for another season. They held up their end with continuous pressure on the offense, keeping two consecutive quarterbacks, Jaylen Henderson and Jayden Mandal, from scoring.

Then came quarterback Logan Fife, who struggled at first going three-and-out, until he gained momentum. Fife kept his eyes down the field while using mobility in the pocket to convert on a third-and-long, continuing down the field. The next snap was a 54-yard pass to wide receiver Jordan Brown, who ran in for a touchdown.

Fife assessed his performance on the field in the post scrimmage interviews. 

“I think I had a good day. There wasn’t too many opportunities to get in there and make good plays, but I’m happy with my performance. Had a few touchdowns, moved the ball well with the offense and let some of the other guys around me make some plays,” he said.  

Josiah Freeman on the field during the preview warm ups. (Valentina Saldaña/The Collegian)

Keene then returned to the field with a different start. He began to throw pass completions, taking the offense down the field. Then he connected with wide open receiver Malik Sherrod for a 35-yard touchdown pass. 

Fife didn’t stay behind as he again took the field to match the energy. After moving the ball down the field, Fife found Brown once again to complete another touchdown.

Despite there being a quarterback competition on the field, Fife says the locker room vibes are still positive.

“It’s not very hostile. We all help each other get better. We ask good questions. We make each other get better, and I think as a locker room the energy is really good. On both sides of the ball, we’re celebrating interceptions and we are celebrating touchdowns all over the field. So, there’s good team chemistry right now,” Fife said. 

Fife ended the Spring Football Preview statistically better then Keene, but no final word has been said by Tedford on who the starting quarterback will be next season. Fresno State football is set to begin fall camp in August and start the season in September.