Water polo comes back to the Valley with a 9-game win streak

Goalkeeper+Paula+Nieto+Jasny+blocks+a+shot+against+Azusa+Pacific+in+the+last+home+game%2C+on+March+18.+

Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian

Goalkeeper Paula Nieto Jasny blocks a shot against Azusa Pacific in the last home game, on March 18.

By Carlos Rene Castro, Multimedia Reporter

The Fresno State water polo team traveled to Northern California over the weekend and secured two wins against the University of the Pacific and San Jose State.

The two road games came down to a tight stretch as the ‘Dogs won by a low score margin.

With the Golden Coast Conference Championships within reach, the water polo team is far into its groove to make a strong push with their 9-game win streak into the championships.

Fresno State 10, University of the Pacific 7 (March 25)

The ‘Dogs took an early 4-1 lead in the first quarter with two goals from Cynthia Rosa. Hailey Andress and Isabella Sonkoly each scored one goal. 

Rosa and Kaitlin Howarth then added two more goals, extending the lead to 6-1. Pacific’s Hila Futorian scored to close out the second quarter.

Fresno State led, 6-2, at halftime.

Pacific scored three goals in the third quarter while the ‘Dogs put up two goals, cutting the Bulldog lead to 8-5.

In a defensive battle, Fresno State’s leading scorer, Brooke Ochoa, scored a goal in the final quarter, securing the win for the ‘Dogs. Bulldog Elisa Grim scored the final goal to close out the game, 10-7.

Fresno State 7, San Jose State University 6 (March 26)  

The ‘Dogs and the Spartans went head-to-head, keeping it an even game for most of the competition.

The scoreboard was a flat 2-2 in the first quarter. Spartan Bailey Stubblefield scored a counter goal, then Bulldog Daphne Guevremont quickly responded with her own goal. Ochoa got on the board with a goal for the ‘Dogs. San Jose State scored the quarter’s last goal via a penalty shot.

In the second quarter, San Jose State outscored Fresno State 2-1 to take a 4-3 lead before halftime. 

Fresno State made a statement in the third quarter, with three goals from Ocha, Andress and Guevremont to take a 6-4 lead at the end of the quarter. 

The Spartan’s two goals in the final quarter weren’t enough as Fresno State put one last goal past San Jose’s net to take a 7-6 win on the road.

The ‘Dogs look to stretch their 9-game win streak on senior day as they face Loyola Marymount University on April 1 in the final home game of the season. Â