Track and field takes top spots in Bulldog Classic

Queen+Okoh+competes+at+the+Bulldog+Classic+on+March+18.+

Blake Wolf/The Collegian

Queen Okoh competes at the Bulldog Classic on March 18.

By Dylan Gonzales, Reporter

Meinkaikay Kaye hurdles for the ‘Dogs at Veterans Memorial Field. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

Over the weekend, several Fresno State track and field athletes performed well in the Bulldog Classic from March 17-18.

Hosting its first home event of the season, the competitions were split between Warmerdam Field on Fresno State’s campus and Veterans Memorial Field at Buchanan High School.

The Bulldogs opened up the Classic placing first and second in the hammer throw event. Amelia DiPaola finished first, and Jocelynn Budwig took second. 

DiPaola set a new personal best with a 61.46-meter throw.

Budwig’s best throw came in at 53.22 meters. 

Five out of the top seven finishers in the event were Bulldogs. 

In the men’s javelin event, Isaiah Calvin placed second with a distance of 56.75 meters, which is his new career high. 

On the women’s side for javelin, the Bulldogs took the top five places, including Harriette Mortlock (first), Cerah Moren (second), Chloe Wood (third), Kaja Bins (fourth) and Emma Harper (fifth). Wood set a new career high with 46.23 meters. 

Jodeci Weems competes in the long jump event at the Bulldog Classic. (Blake Wolf/The Collegian)

On the second day, the ‘Dogs had even more success as they accumulated six total wins.

Once again, the women’s team finished with a sweep in the shot put event, including Jordyn Bryant (first), Cierra Jackson (second), Budwig (third), DiPaolo (fourth) and Morgan Johnson (fifth). 

Bryant claimed Fresno State’s seventh all-time mark with a 15.05-meter throw. 

Jackson took first place in the discus throw, and Bryant finished second. 

In the triple jump, Queen Okoh finished first with a distance of 12.46 meters.

Fresno State also took the win in the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 3:49. The group consisted of Iyanna Ross, Ceonna Pipion, Deja Hudson and Janae Heffernan. 

Ximena Ramos got first in the 800 meters with a time of 2:20, while Pipion took first in the 400 meters with a time of 54.72.

The ‘Dogs will head to San Diego for the Aztec Invitational on March 23.