Softball snaps eight-game losing streak at the Bulldog Classic

Outfielder+Keahilele+Mattson+Mattson+bats+for+Fresno+State.+

Marcos Acosta/The Collegian

Outfielder Keahilele Mattson Mattson bats for Fresno State.

By Dylan Gonzales, Reporter

After an 0-2 this weekend at the Bulldog Classic, the Fresno State softball team’s losing streak was broken after eight games. The team struggled to score runs, totaling only three over the first two games. 

The Bulldogs’ record is now 8-13

Fresno State 1, UC Santa Barbara 4 (March 11)

After rain postponed the first two games on March 10, the Bulldogs began the weekend with a loss to the Gauchos. 

The defense and offense both had a tough game, with the defense committing two errors. 

UC Santa Barbara got the scoring started in the top of the first after hitting three consecutive singles off of Fresno State starting pitcher Sarayah Neiss. 

The Bulldogs tied the score at one apiece in the bottom of the third when Doughty hit an RBI single which scored Emma Martinez. That would be the lone run of the game for the ‘Dogs. 

The Gauchos took the lead back in the top of the fourth after scoring on an error by Bulldogs shortstop Alesia Denby. 

UC Santa Barbara added two insurance runs in the top of the seventh off Bulldog pitcher Taylor Gilmore. 

Only two of the runs allowed by Fresno State pitching were earned. Neiss was charged with the loss, dropping her record to 2-6. 

Fresno State 2, Maine 4 (March 12)

Much like the previous game, the Bulldogs struggled offensively and also had two errors on defense.

The University of Maine scored two runs in the top of the second inning. The Black Bears scored their first run after a throwing error by Bulldog catcher Kennedy Buckner. The second run was scored on an infield single.

The Black Bears took a 4-0 lead in the top of the fifth, scoring on a double and a single off Bulldog pitcher Hannah Ortega.

A home run by Doughty in the bottom of the fifth and a wild pitch allowed Keira Carrillo to score, cutting the lead to 4-2.

After a one-out double in the bottom of the seventh by Keahilele Mattson, the ‘Dogs had an opportunity to tie the game. Back-to-back pop-outs ended the game and extended the season-long losing streak to eight games.

Ortega picked up the loss and her record fell to 0-2.

One of the bright spots of the season has been Gilmore. After pitching 2.1 scoreless innings, she has a team-leading 2.86 ERA.

Fresno State 4, Maine 3 (March 13)

For the first six innings, the ‘Dogs only scored one run while committing two errors on defense. 

Maine scored three runs in the top of the second after hitting a 3-run homer off Neiss. 

Fresno State’s only run over the first six innings came on an unearned run in the bottom of the second. 

Even though Neiss allowed three runs in five innings, she only surrendered three hits and recorded six strikeouts.

After only getting three hits in the first six innings, the ‘Dogs offense provided the spark that they were missing over the first two games of the weekend. 

After a hit by pitch, a double by Taryn Irigoyen and a triple from Doughty tied the score at 3-3.

Doughty then scored on a wild pitch to snap the ‘Dogs 8-game losing streak. Gilmore capped off her stellar weekend with a win after pitching two shutout innings. 

The ‘Dogs will now look to keep the momentum going as they head to the University of California, Berkeley who has an 18-6 record, on March 15.