Softball closes out the Judi Garman Classic 0-5

Marcos Acosta/The Collegian

Serayah Neiss pitches for Fresno State in the Fresno State classic.

By Alexis Bruno, Reporter

The Fresno State softball team went without playing for six days after its last games against UC Davis and Southern Utah were cancelled due to severe weather conditions.

Once it finally hit the field again, it wasn’t the outcome the Bulldogs expected. 

The ‘Dogs wrapped up the 2023 Judi Garman Classic at Cal State Fullerton without a victory. They struggled to put up enough runs, resulting in all losses during the three-day tournament. 

Fresno State 2, Oregon 6 (March 2)

On Thursday, Fresno State opened up with a matchup against Oregon State.

The ‘Dogs started strong with a single to left field by second baseman Emma Martinez. Martinez then went around and scored on a hit by right fielder Bailey Williams that put them up 1-0 in the top of the first inning. 

Although the Bulldogs scored first, the Ducks responded with a run to tie it up, 1-1. 

Oregon went on to score four runs in the third and another in the fifth to take a 6-1 advantage over Fresno State. The ‘Dogs remained scoreless for five innings. 

Closing out the game, the ‘Dogs only managed to bring in one run, but that wasn’t enough Oregon defeated Fresno State, 6-2, in Day One of the classic. 

Fresno State 0, UCF 1 (March 2)

Following  the Oregon defeat, Fresno State faced the University of Central Florida in a pitchers’ battle.

Fresno State pitcher Serayah Neiss and UCF pitcher Taylor Gilmore dueled throughout, with Neiss allowing one run and five hits in the span of seven innings. 

The only run of the game was scored by the Knights off of an RBI double to right center field in the second inning. 

Although Fresno State’s defense stopped more runs, its offense couldn’t put any points on the board.

Fresno State 1, Cal Poly 5 (March 3)

The Dogs weren’t able to shut down the runs in Game 3 against Cal Poly on Friday. 

The Mustangs got off to a quick start, getting a 3-0 lead in the first inning.  

In the fourth inning, the Dogs were finally able to get on the board with an RBI single to left field by Abby Doughty. 

Yet, the Mustangs were able to put up two more runs in the sixth, securing the win, 5-1 

Fresno State 1, UCLA 8 (March 3)

Fresno State’s last Friday matchup was a rout by UCLA. 

The ‘Dogs started the game with a double to center field by Martinez. Then left fielder Keahilele Mattson gave the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead with a single. 

The Bulldogs stayed ahead until Maya Brady hit a three-run homer to the left corner, putting the Bruins up 3-1. 

UCLA scored five additional runs over the next three innings while holding the ‘Dogs scoreless. 

Fresno State lost 8-1 against UCLA. 

Fresno State 4, Seattle 9 (March 4) 

Fresno State played its final game on Saturday against Seattle University. The Redhawks have a 2-0 win streak over the ‘Dogs which was set earlier this season in the Fresno State Kickoff Classic

In the third matchup this season, Seattle set the tone from the jump with a three-run homer to center field in the first inning. 

Although the Redhawks started strong, catcher Kennedy Bunker hit a single to left field to put the Bulldogs on the board, 3-1. 

Seattle went on to score runs in the third and fourth innings to extend its lead to 5-1. 

In the top of the sixth, the Redhawks scored four more runs. In response, the Bulldogs scored two runs to close out the inning, but still trailed, 9-3. 

Shortstop Alesia Denby hit her fifth homerun of the season to close out the game, but it wasn’t enough for the ‘Dogs as they lost 9-4 to Seattle. 

Fresno State closed out the tournament on a 5-game losing streak. It will travel to Stockton to play Pacific on March 8 at the Bill Simoni Field.