Paul Chavez comes to Fresno State for Cesar Chavez commemoration

Fresno+State+dance+program+Los+Danzantes+de+Aztl%C3%A1n+perform+on+campus+at+the+Peace+Garden.+

Julia Espinoza/The Collegian

Fresno State dance program Los Danzantes de Aztlán perform on campus at the Peace Garden.

By Jiselle Cardenas, News Editor

Paul F. Chavez, son of labor leader and civil rights activist Cesar Chavez, and chairman and president of the Cesar Chavez Foundation, will be the keynote speaker for his father’s commemoration event at Fresno State.

“I think Cesar Chavez is a prominent figure in the Latino culture,” said Lesly Beas, student coordinator of Latino/a Programs and Services. “It’s really important for students to take a moment and hear from Paul Chavez himself, as well as other speakers we’re going to be having, who will also be speaking about Cesar Chavez and his legacy.”

The Cross Cultural Gender Center and College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) will host its annual commemoration of Cesar Chavez in the Peace Garden from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, March 22.

This event is open to all students and includes free food, music, guest speakers, performances and booths to promote Latino organizations and clubs on campus.

Beas said that through collaboration with CAMP and professor Sudarshan Kapoor, who created the Peace Garden, the CCGC has been able to connect with Paul Chavez for this event.

As tradition for the commemoration, there will be folklorico dances from Fresno State’s Los Danzantes de Aztlán and mariachi performances. There will also be tacos and refreshments provided on a first-come, first-served basis.

Beas told The Collegian students should be aware of another upcoming event called “I am first,” which is going to be a panel of first-generation college students.

“Students that are first-generation will be speaking about their experiences, as well as providing tips for other students. Students can ask other first-generation college students how they have their process and what strategies they used in their educational journey,” Beas said.

“I am first” will take place on April 20 from noon to 1 p.m. in Room 2206 of the University Library.

She mentioned that Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval was invited as a panelist. However, due to a time conflict, Xuanning Fu, provost and vice president of academic affairs, will be there on behalf of the president.

If you need accommodations for the commemoration, contact the CCGC at 559-278-4435 or email [email protected] by March 13 for assistance.