Here are some up-and-coming comedy acts taking over Fresno

Butch Escobar performs in front of a sold-out Full Circle Crowd on Feb 4.

By Blake Wolf, Multimedia Reporter

The Labyrinth Art Collective is setting the stage for local comedians in the Tower District.  

Although Fresno isn’t known as a comedy town, The Labyrinth is breathing new life into the scene by hosting weekly shows and open mics. Fresnans coming out looking for new hobbies try out comedy as it picks up steam. 

Fresno State alum Matt Comegys and his partner, Alecia Rodriguez, own the space. Hosting events such as the Rogue Festival, they have opened The Labyrinth up to weekly open mics, which is hosted by local comedian Mike Wooten.

“Mike came along within a month or two of us taking over [The Labyrinth]. We let him host an open mic and that went well; did it again the next week, and it’s literally been happening every Tuesday from that moment on. He does a great job, and he’s built a crowd,” Comegys said. 

Wooten hosted the most recent open mic at the Labyrinth on a rainy Tuesday evening. The large majority of attendees were friends and local comics all working out their material together. The open mic shows are free; however, Wooten also hosts shows featuring headlining comics with more polished material. 

Wooten also runs a comedy information page known as “Fresno Comedy Scene” on Instagram. Wooten posts nearly daily flyers for pop-up shows in town. 

“The scene has been steadily growing as newer comics refine their material and get more comfortable on stage. They’ve also been starting up their own shows and open mics. There are so many shows happening on a weekly and monthly basis that there’s almost always something to go see,” Wooten told The Collegian. 

Tickets and more information can be found on the Fresno Comedy Scene Instagram. 

DiCicco’s in Old Town Clovis is another consistent hosting spot for comedy, featuring comedians touring the country. The venue hosts comedy events every Wednesday and Friday night, ranging from $5 to $30 a ticket depending on the headliner. 

Tickets can be found on DiCicco’s Instagram and through Eventbrite. The brewery district is also becoming a hot spot for comedy in Fresno as waves of locals attend sold-out shows in the brewery district. One of the more consistent producers of those shows is Central Valley Comedy, run by Frankie Leal. 

Leal, a local native and producer of the Central Valley Comedy events, has been a photographer for over a decade. 

Leal has photographed some of the most famous comedians across the nation, from the likes of Bobby Lee, Tony Henchliffe and Felipe Esparza. 

“The ability to elicit laughter is truly unparalleled in its therapeutic effect, making it an invaluable remedy for life’s stresses,”  Leal said. “The atmosphere and overall experience of stand-up comedy shows resonate deeply with me, and I find great pleasure in sharing this joy with the community of the Central Valley.”

Central Valley Comedy started hosting outdoor shows in Reedley, before transitioning over to a new, bigger home in Full Circle Brewery. 

“Central Valley Comedy came into existence amidst the COVID-19 pandemic when conventional comedy shows were no longer feasible, leading to income loss for comedians,”  Leal said.  “It was then that Darren Carter, a fellow comedian, suggested the production of an outdoor comedy show in Reedley.”

The performing comics are vetted and hand picked by Leal and his wife. The most recent event they hosted featured up and coming California native comedians who crushed a sold out Full Circle crowd. 

“Our aim is to present new, yet exceptionally talented comedians to our audiences in the Central Valley, who may not yet be well-known, but have the potential to deliver a delightful and unforgettable experience. We take pride in our commitment to showcasing exceptional comedic talent and contributing to the growth of the industry,” Leal said. 

You can find the Central Valley Comedy page on Instagram, as tickets have recently gone on sale for their next show at Full Circle Brewery on Saturday, April 22.