Fresno State softball loses series against San Diego State

Serayah+Neiss+on+the+mound+for+Fresno+State.+

Marcos Acosta/The Collegian

Serayah Neiss on the mound for Fresno State.

By Alexis Bruno, Reporter

The Fresno State softball team lost 2-out-of-3 games against San Diego State, beating the Aztecs 6-3 on Friday, but losing 4-3 on Saturday and 7-4 on Sunday. The ‘Dogs started off strong but couldn’t close out the series against the Aztecs. 

Fresno 6, San Diego 3 (March 24)

The first game of the series started off slow with a scoreless first and second inning. The ‘Dogs were able to shift the momentum in the third inning with a triple down the right field line by Juliana Wilson to bring in the first run. 

Shortly after, Bulldog first baseman Jaime Hicks bunted to bring in an RBI for a 2-0 lead.

The fourth inning consisted of hits by the Aztecs, accumulating two RBIs to tie the game. Later they would take their first lead of the game by a single through the right side, closing out the fifth inning, 3-2. 

The Bulldogs trailing didn’t stop their momentum in the sixth inning. Left fielder Keahilele Mattson lasered a single to right field for an RBI to tie the game once again. 

Wilson started and ended the game for the ‘Dogs in Game One. She homered to right center for 3 RBIs to win the game. 

Fresno State defeated San Diego, 6-3.      

Fresno 3, San Diego 4 (March 25)

Similar to Game One, the first inning ended with no score, but the ‘Dogs jumped on the board in the second inning.

Mattson hit a single to right field to bring in two RBIs, taking a 2-0 advantage. 

“It gets harder now, everyone kind of knows that I can hit so they start to throw different pitches, and I start to see different looks of pitchers,” Mattson said. 

Although Mattson faced bigger challenges, she closed out the game as the top hitter for the Bulldogs going 2-of-3 at the plate. 

The Aztecs didn’t back down, closing the second inning. Aztec right fielder AJ Murphy homered to right field to tie the game up 2-2. 

In a head-to-head matchup, a fast grounder by Hicks brought in an RBI. The ‘Dogs took the lead, 3-2, early in the third inning. 

Matching the momentum, the Aztecs hit a double to right field for an RBI to tie the game up once again.

Great defense by both sides kept a three inning score drought until the seventh inning. Aztec second baseman, Makena Brocki, hit a game winning double to right center for an RBI to end the game. 

Fresno State was defeated in Game Two 4-3.  

Fresno 4, San Diego 7 (March 26)

Unlike the first two games, the series finale got off to a quick start for the ‘Dogs. 

Second baseman Emma Martinez opened the first inning with a double then advanced to third base on a wild pitch by an Aztec pitcher. She slid her way home on a throwing error by the catcher to give the ‘Dogs a 1-0 lead. 

Following the run, Wilson homered to left field for an RBI to extend the lead by two.

Matching the energy, the Aztecs responded with a run on a fielding error by Bulldog pitcher Serayah Neiss, cutting the deficit to one at the end of the first. 

After a scoreless second inning, one RBI by shortstop Jullian Celis and 3 RBIs by Murphy gave the Aztecs the lead for the first time. They scored a total of four runs in that inning. 

The ‘Dogs couldn’t step up defensively to come back in a 5-2 deficit. The hitting continued in the fourth inning as the Aztecs accumulated two more RBIs extending its lead 7-2. 

In the fifth inning, Mattson and Martinez fought back, earning two RBIs but it wasn’t enough for the ‘Dogs to pull off the win. 

“The pitches that she [Mattson] didn’t hit well in the past she hits them better now,” said Fresno State Head Coach Stacy May-Johnson.  

The Aztecs defeated the Bulldogs 7-4 in the final game of the series. 

Fresno State now has a record of 1-2 in the Mountain West conference play and 11-18 overall. It will play a double- header against Santa Clara at Margie Wright Diamond  on March 29.