Fresno State equestrian is set to compete at the Big 12 championships

Sam+Semrau+competes+in+the+western+event+for+Fresno+State.+

Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Sam Semrau competes in the western event for Fresno State.

By Jazmin Alvarado, Reporter

Fresno State’s equestrian team earned the No. 3 seed in the 2023 Big 12 Equestrian Championship. 

The National Collegiate Equestrian Association (NCEA) announced the bracket on Tuesday, March 14, followed by a schedule of when each team would compete. 

According to the Fresno State Equestrian website, the seedings were determined based on each teams’ record and NCEA rankings at the time of each conference match. 

The Big 12 Championships will be held at the Pedigo-Hull Equestrian Center in Stillwater, Oklahoma. 

This is Fresno State’s second season being in the top of the seedings. In 2021, the ‘Dogs earned the No. 2 seed, which has been the highest the program has been ranked. 

The Bulldogs’ overall record is 3-7, with its largest win of the season on Feb. 3 against the University of Minnesota Crookston, 13-3.

In the championship conference, the schools “will compete in four events under the two equestrian disciplines: western (horsemanship, reining) and jumping seat (flat, fences),” according to the Fresno State Equestrian website.

For the first round, Fresno State will compete against Texas Christian University, which holds the No. 2 seed. During that time, No. 1 Oklahoma State will face No. 4 Baylor University.

The winners of these matches will then compete in Round 2, which will determine the Big 12 Champion. The losers of the first round will compete for the third-place title. 

The conference championships will take place from March 24-25 and will be broadcast on ESPN+. A full schedule of events will be released the week of the competition.