Momentum for Esports is still on the rise

The Fresno State Overwatch Team from left to right: Zander “Sundown” Townsend, Ryan “Xemp” Ramos, Erin “Sage” Xiong, George “Phoenix” Rodriguez and Jad Kang. (Courtesy of Fresno State Esports)

By Jayshawn Montalvo, Contributor

After winning a National Esports Collegiate Conference (NECC) title last season, Fresno State Esports looks to raise the bar on its expectations for this upcoming year. 

Ricky Oaks, the broadcast and media director for the Esports program, believes the team can win back-to-back titles. 

“Our coaching structure this past semester has been better than ever,” Oaks said. 

The team has an expansive coaching roster with Ryan Serrano, Jacob Gutierrez, Alan Gurrola, Jacob Brauer, Jorge Munoz, Edmanuel Venegas and assistant coach Daniel Scott. 

Oaks also said the players developed good training methods with their environment.  

The gaming room, which is located in the University Student Union, is where the players compete., 

“[The Valorant team] performed exceptionally once they consistently started using the room,” Oaks said. 

He also highlighted the Overwatch team as well.

Coach Serrano, who commands the Overwatch team, is ready to put his players back into play. 

Serrano explains that strategies cannot be used twice in competitive play.

“Strategies that worked last semester have become somewhat obsolete since then, but I’m still tackling the game with a similar approach to how I coach,” he said. 

A confident coach creates morale for players, with an increase of good playstyle. This is what the coaches in the program strive for. 

Serrano is looking to find more talent for the program, in hopes of bringing the concept of Esports to high schools. 

“Having our program go out to local high schools to promote gaming at the high school level to get more engagement there and develop skills early so they can have a chance to participate at the collegiate level as well,” Serrano said. 

Serrano is working on bringing that plan to life. Currently, it is not. 

For anyone interested in becoming a part of the Esports program, contact Esports via Twitter, Instagram and Twitch

NECC games began on Monday, Feb. 6, with College Esports Clash beginning on Saturday, Feb. 18, in Bakersfield. The event is free for anyone who would like to watch.