‘Jesus Revolution’ is exactly the type of inspiring story the world needs right now

Kimberly Williams-Paisley, left, as Charlene and Jackson Robert Scott as Young Greg in “Jesus Revolution.” (Dan Anderson/Lionsgate/TNS)

Lionsgate’s “Jesus Revolution,” which was released in theaters on Feb. 24, is a nice feel-good film, but could stand to develop its conflicts a little bit better.

I will preface this by saying that I don’t usually watch Christian films. They often rely on an established formula, which results in them coming across as predictable.

However, I was invited to the red carpet premiere of “Jesus Revolution,” held at Maya Cinemas at Campus Pointe on Feb. 25. So I went, and I must say, I was impressed.

Let me provide some context here. “Jesus Revolution,” based on the novel of the same name, was directed by Jon Erwin of “I Can Only Imagine” and Brent McCorkle. It was produced by Kevin Downes, who hails from Visalia.

Downes attended the premiere, along with one of the stars of the film, Jonathan Roumie, who plays hippie pastor Lonnie Frisbee.

Frasier himself, Kelsey Grammer, is obviously the big name here, but it is Roumie who steals the show. Known for playing Jesus in the popular series “The Chosen,” now streaming on Netflix, Roumie takes on a very different role here, that of the larger-than-life Frisbee, whose character often clashes with the more straight-laced, traditional Chuck Smith (Grammer).

Although he is initially resistant, Smith eventually warms to Frisbee and his ability to inspire the congregation. Their story, though, is only half of “Jesus Revolution.”

The other half follows Greg Laurie (Joel Courtney), a frustrated youth who finds himself in Frisbee’s crosshairs after a traumatic experience. Laurie is inspired by Frisbee and eventually takes up ministry himself.

Either of these stories would be predictable if they were on their own, but the decision to intertwine them reinforces the scope of the revolution of the film’s title, which was based on a real movement that swept America in the early 1970s.

At one point in the film, a reporter comments that America is a “dark and divided place.” Those words have perhaps never been more true today, which is why we need a movie like “Jesus Revolution.”

Having a spiritual revolution is all well and good, but a movie needs conflict. The first half of “Jesus Revolution” has virtually no conflict. Smith has a brief dispute with an even more traditional clergyman, but it is resolved before the film’s halfway mark.

The result is, when a conflict between Smith and Frisbee is introduced in the film’s second half, it almost comes across as forced. An attempt to introduce a conflict between Smith and Laurie is even less successful.

The best conflict in the film is between Laurie and his love interest, Cathe (Anna Grace Barlow). Even then, the film relies on subtext to establish that Laurie’s definition of love has been warped by his dad leaving and his mom, who is still there, but not much more than that.

I realize that that’s not why people watch these films, that they watch them to feel better, and “Jesus Revolution” will do that. That is what it was designed for, after all.

I knew that “Jesus Revolution” was a drama, but what surprised me was all the comedy that was present as well. Smith had some funny one-liners, as expected, but Frisbee was hilarious.

My favorite scene was when he and the rest of the congregation banded together to give Laurie a car, and it wouldn’t start, so he led a series of increasingly desperate prayers, even requesting some “spirit juice” from the divine, until it eventually worked.

Overall, “Jesus Revolution” doesn’t aim too high narrative-wise, but settles for an inspiring tale of a real-life movement that teaches us that any impact on your community, no matter how small, can spark a revolution. So, spread the word around. The more people watch it, the longer it stays in theaters.