Fresno State’s swim and dive team sets multiple program records at Mountain West Championships

Fresno+States+200+free+relay+team+at+the+Mountain+West+Championships+in+Houston%2C+Texas.+

Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics

Fresno State’s 200 free relay team at the Mountain West Championships in Houston, Texas.

By Valentina Saldaña, Sports Editor

Fresno State’s swim and dive team closed off its regular season at the Mountain West Championships in Houston, Texas. The ‘Dogs made a big splash at CRWC Natatorium, setting multiple program records throughout the championships. 

The ‘Dogs started competition on Wednesday, Feb. 15, accumulating a total of 133 points by the end of day one. 

The following day is when the 400 medley relay team set a new program record for Fresno State, with a time of 3:38.94. The group consisting of Athena Clayson, Mackenzie Hutler, Aliz Kalmar and Julia Matney scored a total of 196 points. They placed second for that event with San Diego State at first with a time of 3:35.20. 

Bulldog Julia Matney at the Mountain West Championships. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

On the board, senior Bulldog diver Silvia Alessio also made it to the leaderboards, scoring a total of 295.85 points in the 3-meter finals, placing her at seventh. 

The ‘Dogs set three more records on day three, Feb. 17. 

The ‘Dogs placed second in the 200 free relay, with Hutler, Eleonora Trentin, Samarah Melia and Wiktoria Dabrowska. They received 56 points and had a total time of 1:31.47, setting the first program record of the day.

Another program record was set by Hutler in the 100 butterfly event. She had a time of 53.81, placing ninth and winning the consolation final.

Kalmar set the 100 breaststroke event record, finishing fifth with a time of 1:01.14. 

Another standout Bulldog was sophomore Sera Hanagan, who placed fourth in the first final of her career. She competed in the 400-meter individual event and finished with a total time of 4:18.27, scoring 27 points. 

Senior Athena Clayson competes in the backstroke event. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Lastly, Clayson closed out day three, swimming a 53.89 in the 100 backstroke finals event. She placed fifth and earned 25 points. 

Fresno State closed off the last day of competition on Feb. 18. with a total of 866 points, which is also a new program high. 

The 400 free relay team set yet another record with a time of 3:20.59. The group consisting of Clayson, Trentin, Melia and Dabrowska placed second, earning the ‘Dogs 56 points. 

Clayson also earned third place in the 200 backstroke event, with a time 1:56.90.

Kalmar had a time of 2:11.65 in the 200 breaststroke event, earning her third place.  

The ‘Dogs earned fifth place overall. Divers Alessio and Grace Ally will travel to Washington to compete in the NCAA Zone E Diving Championships.