Diamond ‘Dogs win 3 straight in 4-game series versus University of Nebraska, Omaha

Victor+Arreola+pitches+for+Fresno+State+in+its+series+finale+against+Omaha+on+Feb.+26.+

Marcos Acosta/The Collegian

Victor Arreola pitches for Fresno State in its series finale against Omaha on Feb. 26.

By Robert Rivera, Contributor

After dominant pitching and defensive performances in the double header on Thursday, the ‘Dogs came out swinging this weekend in a 13-4 win in Game 3, but suffered a 1-0 loss in their final game against the University of Nebraska, Omaha. 

The Fresno State baseball team finished 3-1 in a four-game series. 

Bulldogs Tommy Hopfe and Nikoh Mitchell combined for eight RBIs, and both hit a grand slam home run on Saturday, Feb. 25 for Game 3. 

Nikoh Mitchell hits the ball against Omaha. (Marcos Acosta/The Collegian)

Pitching for Fresno State was Jake Dixon, who improved his record to 2-0.

On Sunday, the Diamond ‘Dogs were shut out by the Mavericks in a 1-0 loss for the series finale. On the mound was Bulldog Roman Angelo, who gave up the only run of the game. 

Interim head coach Ryan Overland shared his thoughts with The Collegian on the sudden change in scoring.

“We got a big lead and then we gave some at-bats away yesterday that just carried into today. We just weren’t able to perform and finish off the weekend,” Overland said. 

The scoring started on Saturday in the second inning with a grand-slam home run off the bat of Mitchell, making it his first of the season. He put the ‘Dogs on the board, 4-0, driving in Travis Welker, Sammy Augustine and Payton Allen, who were all on base. 

The Mavericks answered back in the top of the third with a single from Mike Boeve, with Matt Goetzmann reaching home plate, making the score 4-1. The inning ended with a long throw by Mitchell to the catcher, tagging out the runner trying to score. 

The Diamond ‘Dogs offense exploded in the bottom of the third inning, scoring nine runs. Welker batted in two RBI’s with a single to bring in Tyler Davis and Allen.

Travis Welker throws the ball to the infield. (Marcos Acosta/The Collegian)

The runs continued with a Ben Newton double to bring in both Welker and Sammy Augustine. 

Then, the ‘Dogs second grand slam of the game came from Hopfe to score Grady Morgan, Newton and Mitchell. Bobby Blandford then scored off a Maverick throwing error. 

The Bulldogs extended their lead to 13-1 to end the third inning.

In the fourth inning, Maverick Eduardo Rosario hit a two-run shot, making the score 13-3. 

Bulldog pitcher Dixon ended his night after five innings pitched and three earned runs scored. Jaykob Acosta was put in as pitcher at the start of the sixth inning. 

Acosta pitched two scoreless innings and was relieved by Will Springer in the eighth inning. 

Neither team scored again until the eighth. Maverick batter Devin Hurdle hit a single to score Boeve. The lead was cut down to nine, but the Bulldogs still led 13-4.

Bulldog pitcher Aidan Cremarosa replaced Springer on the mound to close out the game in the ninth inning. He ended the game with a strikeout, giving the ‘Dogs their third straight win at home. 

Jake Anker pitches for the Diamond ‘Dogs. (Marcos Acosta/The Collegian)

The tempo wasn’t as high on Sunday, with neither team scoring until the fifth inning. Maverick batter Harrison Kreiling hit a solo home run to end Angelo’s four-inning shutout. 

Angelo managed to get out of a bases-loaded jam to end the fifth inning, which ended his performance. 

Only two more Bulldogs would reach base over the final five innings as the ‘Dogs were shut out, 1-0. 

The ‘Dogs used Angelo, Jack Anker, Robbie Peters and Victor Arreola as pitchers during Sunday’s game. 

This is Fresno State’s first loss at home, and its only loss of the four-game series against the Mavericks. 

Angelo shared with The Collegian some positive takeaways after the game. 

“We had guys coming out of the bullpen who attacked the strike zone well, they did their job in a close knit game. It’s awesome to see young guys, two freshmen, go out there and pound the ‘zone with good stuff. I think that’s a really positive thing to take forward.”

The Diamond ‘Dogs hold a record of 4-3 at the end of the weekend and will face off against the University of San Francisco on March 1 at 6:05 p.m., at Pete Beiden Field in Bob Bennett Stadium.