Denby earns most outstanding player at Fresno State’s Kickoff Classic

Marcos Acosta/The Collegian

Alesia Denby runs to third base against Idaho State on Feb. 19.

By Dylan Gonzales, Reporter

After struggling to provide consistent offense and losing three games in the first three days of Fresno State’s Kickoff Classic, the ‘Dogs closed out the weekend by scoring 10 runs and pitching a shutout against Idaho State. 

Despite the promising conclusion to the weekend, the Fresno State softball team finished the classic 2-3, with a 5-5 record overall. 

Bulldog Head Coach Stacy May-Johnson talked to The Collegian after the last game of the Kickoff Classic.

“I think our big takeaways are that we still need to improve at the plate. We didn’t show the offensive potency that we wanted to see until tonight. We still need to get better on the mound,” May-Johnson said. 

Bulldogs Alesia Denby, Taylor Gilmore, Juliana Wilson and Emma Martinez were named to the all-tournament team. 

Denby was also named the most outstanding player after she hit three home runs and drove in 10 runs over the five games. 

As a senior, Denby has provided the younger players with leadership.

“I think this is just a learning moment for us, just trying to have some resilience and be able to persevere through these losses that we took. It was good for us to regroup and go into the new week with a good start,” Denby said. 

Fresno State 4, University of Illinois Chicago 3 (Feb. 16)

The Bulldogs began the weekend with an intense come-from-behind victory. Trailing 3-0 and down to their last out, Denby hit a game-tying, three-run home run and tied the game, 3-3. 

After being held to only two hits for the first six innings, the ‘Dogs strung together three hits in the seventh. 

In the bottom of the eighth, Bella Rocco drove in the winning run with a sacrifice fly.

On the mound, Fresno State got solid performances from all four of its pitchers, with all of them holding the Flames to one run or less. 

Shelbi Denman struggled to get hitters out during her 1.2 innings on the mound. She gave up seven baserunners  but  managed to limit the damage to only one run. 

Hannah Ortega pitched 3.2 innings and gave up one run. Gilmore followed and also gave up one run in 1.2 innings.

The win went to Serayah Neiss who pitched a scoreless inning in the top of the eighth. The win improved her record to 2-1 and the teams overall record to 4-2. 

Fresno State 5, Iowa State 6 (Feb. 17)

Fresno State started its second game giving up three runs in the top of the seventh inning to lose 6-5 in a back and forth contest. 

The Cyclones jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the second inning. Bulldog Denman also started this game but was unable to keep the Cyclones off the board.

The ‘Dogs answered with a run in the bottom half of the second inning with a Shaunessy Cardwell RBI single. 

In the bottom of the third, the ‘Dogs batted around the lineup and put up four runs to take a 5-3 lead. The Bulldogs scored on a single and three walks. 

The next three innings were scoreless for the Bulldogs. Bailey Doherty pitched 3.1 innings without giving up a run. 

In the top of the seventh, the Cyclones scored three runs off Neiss and took a 6-5 lead. 

Neiss received her second loss of the season.

Rocco led off the bottom of the inning with a double. The ’Dogs were unable to capitalize as the Cyclones held on for the win. 

The loss dropped the Bulldogs overall record to 4-3.

Fresno State 2, Seattle University 5 (Feb. 17)

Once again, the ‘Dogs were unable to hold onto the lead. 

The Redhawks took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. The ‘Dogs answered back with runs in the second and third inning. Denby hit a solo home run in the third. 

That was all the ‘Dogs would score. 

Through five innings Neiss was on a roll. The lefty gave up only one run and pitched four consecutive scoreless innings after giving up a run in the first. 

The game went spiraling out of control in the sixth inning. Neiss gave up four runs, three of which were earned. 

The loss put the ‘Dogs back to .500 at 4-4.

Fresno State 1, Seattle University 8 (Feb. 18) 

After three close games to open up the weekend, the ‘Dogs were blown out in their second game against the Redhawks. 

Fresno State didn’t score its first run until the bottom of the sixth inning after a Taryn Irogoyen sacrifice fly. 

Ortega got the loss after pitching 2.1 innings and giving up three runs, two of which were earned. 

For the first time all season, the Bulldogs fell below .500 at 4-5.

Fresno State 10, Idaho State 0 (Feb. 19)

After being held to only three runs in their last two games, the Bulldogs offense broke through with a huge performance. 

Denby had another big game. The shortstop totaled six RBIs and a home run, which was her third of the weekend. 

The first three innings of the game were tightly contested, with the Bulldogs taking a 1-0 lead in the third with an RBI fielder’s choice by Denby. 

Over the next two innings, the ‘Dogs scored nine runs to attain the 10-run mercy rule, ending the game early. A three-run home run by Denby in the bottom of the fifth clinched the victory for the ‘Dogs. 

Fresno State pitchers also had an impressive night with Neiss and Gilmore who combined for  five scoreless innings. Gilmore pitched 3.1 innings and recorded her first win of the season.

With the win, the ‘Dogs improved to an overall record of 5-5.

Up next

Fresno State will stay at Margie Wright Diamond for the upcoming 2023 Fresno State Invitational. They will once again face off against Idaho State, whom they will play twice on Feb. 23. 

The ‘Dogs will then play Southern Utah on Feb. 24 and then two games against UC Davis on Feb. 25 and 26.