Fresno State’s Amaya West shoots over UNLV defender in the second quarter. She led the ‘Dogs in scoring with 11 points on Jan. 5, 2023, at the Save Mart Center. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

Fresno State women’s basketball fails to win its first game of conference play at home

The Fresno State women’s basketball team has yet to win a game in the Mountain West (MW) Conference play, losing its third game against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) at the Save Mart Center.

The ‘Dogs went into Thursday’s game 7-8 overall in the season and lost its first two games of the MW conference play. The Lady Rebels are No. 1 in the MW standing, 12-2 overall, and is undefeated in the postseason.

The ‘Dogs were able to lock down the conference favorites to start the game, holding the lead the entire first quarter. The Lady Rebels turned the ball over three times and shot 3-for-13 from the field.

After a steal by Bulldog Sydney Dethman, she found Amiee Book open in the fastbreak for an easy layup in transition, giving Fresno State the biggest lead of the half, 10-5, with three minutes left of the first quarter.

Fresno State guard Amiee Book led the team in 3s, shooting 2-for-4 beyond the arc. She was second in scoring for the ‘Dogs with 11 points total. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

“I thought we started OK; knocked down some shots. We were leading in rebounding, and then it was the end of the first half, [UNLV] went on a run,” said Fresno State Head Coach Jaime White.

However, UNLV Justice Ethridge would take over in the second quarter, scoring 11 of Lady Rebel’s next 18 points. She led her team to a 7-0 run to get their first lead of the game.

Ethridge hit a mid-range jumper and followed it up with a 3-pointer, making the ‘Dogs trail 12-10 with eight minutes left of the first half.

Bulldog Yanina Todorova ended the run with a steal on the defensive end to then find Book open again on the fastbreak, tying it at 12-12.

But Ethridge answered back with another 3 to get the Lady Rebels the lead again. It would be her quarter as she gives the Lady Rebels the lead into halftime, 25-19.

“Justice was really good, especially early. I didn’t feel like we came out and were communicating and rotating defensively,” White said.

Shots could not go in for the ‘Dogs. Fresno State did not settle with 3s, only shooting five in the first half, but went 9-32 with a lot of missed layups and inside buckets. White said the easy missed shots were due to a “lack of focus” but noted the team has had different lineups the past four games.

“We’re struggling to find our identity,” she said. “And really move together and work together in unison.”

The first three minutes of the second half were in Fresno State’s favor, going on a 6-2 run. The Lady Rebels turned the ball over in the first play while Imani Lacy drove the ball into the paint to get a blocking foul, knocking both free throws.

After another empty possession from UNLV, Book made a 3 from the wing, banking it off the glass, making it 25-24 in the first minute of the third quarter.

After the ‘Dogs tied it at 27-27, UNLV would go on another run of its own. It made 10 points in four minutes. UNLV’s center Desi-Rae Young dominated the paint and guard Essence Booker hit one from beyond the arc to make it, 37-27.

Bulldog Yanina Todorova guards Lady Rebel Essence Booker in the first quarter. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

White credited Young’s height and athleticism, especially on how it factored on the defensive end, but said the ‘Dogs needed to be more aggressive and couldn’t score despite the Lady Rebel’s defense.

Young scored half of UNLV’s points of the quarter, going for 9 points. The ‘Dogs could not break the double-digit deficit in the third, having to desperately fight in the fourth to regain the lead.

Lacy suffered an injury in the final three minutes of the game. White said she was not sure what happened or what the injury is.

“I think she’s OK. I just saw her, but we have to wait and see,” she said.

Fresno State looked frustrated as it couldn’t find an answer on both ends of the court.

Fresno State loses its conference play home opener, 64-49. Amaya West led the ‘Dogs with 11 points, followed by Book with 10 and Todorova with 8. Fresno State shot 29% from the field and 38.5% from the 3.

Bulldogs Thea Mikkelsen (left) and Keely Brown (right) wait to be subbed in the final minutes of the game. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

Young and Ethridge led the Lady Rebels in scoring with 43 combined points. Young went 10-14 from the field and snagged 18 rebounds for a double-double.

White said the team still has a lot to figure out how to perform for the entire 40 minutes of the game. She said they are still finding those two to three players who can stay consistent and build the team around them. Although she sees those qualities in some players, there is still more work to be done, she added.

“We’re trying to figure that out right now and that’s been really frustrating for us,” White said.

The ‘Dogs stay home for their next game on Saturday against San José State at 2 p.m.