Bulldog Amaya West finishes an and-one layup over three San Diego State Aztec defenders on Jan. 11 at the Save Mart Center. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

Bulldogs suffer devastating loss against San Diego State Aztecs

The Fresno State women’s basketball team is now 1-4 in the Mountain West Conference play after its 49-43 loss against San Diego State on Wednesday.

The Aztecs won its third game of MW play, with a 3-1 MW record and 13-4 overall. 

San Diego State made its first 7 points off second-chance buckets after tipoff. The Aztecs got its first 2 points after an offensive rebound, leading to a bucket inside the paint. 

Bulldog Aimee Book answered back with a 3 from the wing, but in another second-chance play, Aztec ”‹”‹Yummy Morris shot the ball from the free throw line and then grabbed her own rebound. Fresno State then got a 24-second violation in the next position. 

Fresno State Head Coach Jaime White was telling her players from the sideline to box out 

The ‘Dogs continued to have a rough start with two turnovers , Aztecs still leading 7-3. 

San Diego then hit another 3 and an easy layup in transition after a steal, forcing White to call a timeout with three minutes left of the first quarter. 

Bulldog Franka Wittenberg broke the offensive cold streak with a cut to the basket and a good pass from Imani Lacy for the assist

Later on, Bulldog Sydney Dethman was fouled, hitting one of her two free throws, Aztecs still leading 14-6. After a San Diego bucket inside, Dethman answered back, scoring inside for a two of her own. 

Trying to make an inbound play, the ‘Dogs got a five-second violation for its sixth turnover going into the second quarter, 16-8. 

The ‘Dogs defense significantly improved in the second. After shooting around 43% in the first, Aztecs went 3-for-13. The ‘Dogs also forced six turnovers in the half, but offensively, they still couldn’t find the answer. 

Both teams remained scoreless for the first two minutes of the second quarter until Bulldog Amaya West snatched an offensive rebound after a missed corner 3, finishing with a layup on the other side of the paint, making it 16-10. 

But momentum died quickly after Aztec Abby Prohaska was left wide open for an easy layup in transition. Aztecs then went on an offensive run, leading into halftime, 25-16.

In the second half, the ‘Dogs had to scrap to cut down the Aztec lead. Morris found her rhythm, making six of San Diego State’s first 10 points. 

Aztecs then got its biggest lead of the game after a 3 from Sophia Ramos, making it 40-24 with nearly 4 minutes left of the third quarter. 

Although Fresno State was able to cut the lead to single digits in the final seconds of the game, San Diego held its own to win the game, finishing 49-43.

Fresno State will go to Colorado for its next game against Air Force on Saturday at 12 p.m.