Jared C. Serpa plays Antipholus of Ephesus, one of the twins in “The Comedy of Errors.” (Courtesy of Fresno State University Theatre)

Fresno State’s ‘Comedy of Errors’ cancels remaining shows due to ‘multiple COVID-19 cases’

Fresno State’s University Theatre announced this afternoon in a Facebook post that its production of “The Comedy of Errors” will shut down because of COVID-19.

“Unfortunately, due to multiple COVID-19 cases within the cast, the remainder of the run of ‘The Comedy of Errors’ has been canceled,” the post said. 

Fresno State University Theatre also announced the cancellation of “The Comedy of Errors” on its personal Twitter account.

The show had been scheduled to run through Dec. 10 at 7:30 p.m at the John Wright Theatre. 

“The Comedy of Errors” company was in its fifth day of production, with its opening night on Dec. 2. The Shakespearan play, directed by Brad Myers, follows two sets of identical twins who were accidentally switched at birth. The cast consisted of Fresno State students, alumni and community members. 

“We are so sad that we won’t be able to finish our run, but the health and safety of our cast and crew is of the utmost importance,” University Theatre said in the Facebook post.

According to the post, those who already bought tickets should receive an email with information on how to get a refund for the canceled shows. 

“In most cases, refunds have already been initiated,” it said in the post.