The Veterans Resource Center hosted the Red Friday event, highlighting upcoming events, including the Central Valley Veterans Day Parade on Nov. 11. (Ashley Flowers/The Collegian)

Veterans Day celebrations start early on campus

Fresno State started celebrating Veterans Day a week early with live music, free food and a chance to win raffle prizes for staff and faculty at the Resnick Student Union’s (RSU) outdoor amphitheater on Nov. 4.

The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) hosted the themed Red Friday event, which was the latest in a series of monthly morning events organized by the Staff Assembly Executive Committee (SAEC) to connect staff and faculty.­

The VRC is located in University Center (UC) 101 across from the University Student Union (USU). It serves the university’s veterans and service members; their dependents; and their community to “foster a campus atmosphere of support to empower our students toward academic success and well-being,” according to its brochure.

According to the VRC’s website, Fresno State has 459 student veterans on campus.

Many students who are veterans, reservists or national guardsmen are also eligible for additional services through TRIO Student Support Services Veterans (SSSV), which is located in Lab School, Room 9.

The VRC used the Red Friday event to highlight upcoming events.

The VRC will feature a veterans art display, including art from many on-campus and community veterans, that will be available for viewing through Thursday, Nov. 10.­

The exhibit will culminate with “Veteran Art at the Winery,” presented by the VRC at the Fresno State Winery on Nov. 10, from 4 – 6 p.m. The event will include award-winning wine tasting for a fee of $15. Those interested in attending can RSVP online with the code “vetart.”

On Friday, Nov. 11, the Central Valley Veterans Day Parade will return to downtown Fresno at the Fresno City Hall with a pre-ceremony at 9:30 a.m., an opening ceremony at 10:45 a.m. and parade kick-off at 11:11 a.m.­

TRIO will also host several events, including a cake-cutting ceremony for the 247th Marine Corps Birthday on Nov. 10 at noon in Lab School, Room 10. Information about further TRIO events can be found on its social media accounts.

SAEC encourages others to sponsor, or host, a Red Friday to improve networking, promote a department or division and share in Bulldog spirit, according to its website. Those interested can fill out a sponsor form online. The next Red Friday will be on Dec. 2.