TNS
Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, Democratic candidate for governor of California and former San Francisco mayor, speaks to members of the Democratic Party of Orange County at UA Plumbers & Steamfitters Local 582 in Orange, Calif., on July 12, 2018. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Midterm Election: Democrats retain Senate control, Republicans take House

This story was updated Nov. 16, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.

Democrats retain Senate control after winning crucial races in Nevada and Arizona.

On Wednesday evening, AP News reported that Republican Rep. Mike Garcia won the race in California’s 27th District, earning the party’s 218th seat and the majority in the House.

In the Senate

Democratic incumbent Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada defeated Republican challenger Adam Laxalt, and Democratic incumbent Sen. Mark Kelly took Arizona against Blake Masters.

In Pennsylvania, the seat was flipped with the victory of Democratic Sen. John Fetterman against Republican challenger Mehmet Oz.

A runoff election will occur in Georgia, where Democrat Sen. Raphael Warnock and GOP challenger Herschel Walker did not receive the majority vote.

In Alaska, one seat remains to be filled, as Alaska’s Senate race has not yet been called as of Monday. The top two Republican candidates have gained “four in every five votes” counted, “mathematically guaranteeing” that the GOP will retain the seat, according to Scott Bland, politics editor for Politico.

Fifty seats have been called for Democrats and 49 for Republicans as of Monday. 

According to The Associated Press (AP), if “an equal number of senators caucus with each party, Democrats will control the chamber due to Vice President Kamala Harris’ tie breaking vote.”

In the House

In the House of Representatives, 429 out of the 435 seats have been called as of Wednesday evening, according to AP News.

In order to have the party majority, 218 seats are needed. The GOP is the dominant party in the house as of Wednesday, AP News reported.

In California

Incumbent Democrat Gov. Gavin Newsom was reelected for his second term as governor. AP reported that Newsom received 62% of the 4 million votes counted on Nov. 8.

Incumbent Secretary of State Shirley Weber, a Democrat, was reelected with nearly 58% of the vote as of Nov. 14.

Incumbent Democrat California Attorney General Rob Bonta was also reelected, with nearly 58% of the vote as of Nov. 14.

Alex Padilla, a Democrat, won the Senate seat with 59.8% of the vote, defeating Republican challenger Mark P. Meuser, who received 40.2% of the vote.

Official results can be found on the Secretary of State’s website, along with a breakdown of the closest contests in California, at electionresults.sos.ca.gov.

Which propositions passed?

Proposition 1, the ballot measure which aims to explicitly define the constitutional right to reproductive freedom in California, passed. The proposition passed with a nearly two-thirds majority, according to a race call from AP.

Proposition 28, which aimed to allow more funding for arts and music education in all public K-8 schools, K-12 schools and charter schools, passed. According to a race call from AP, 62% were in favor while 38% were against the measure.

Proposition 31, which determined whether or not in-person stores and vending machines could sell flavored tobacco products and tobacco product flavor enhancers, such as fruit, mint, menthol and other flavorings, passed with 63% in favor and 37% opposed, according to a race call from AP. 

Which propositions failed?

Proposition 26, the California Sports Wagering Regulation and Unlawful Gambling Enforcement Act, did not pass. According to a race call by AP, nearly 70% of voters rejected the proposition.

Proposition 27, a Constitutional amendment to allow online and mobile sports wagering outside tribal lands, did not pass. A race call by AP reported that 83% voted against the measure and 17% were in favor of measure.

Proposition 29, a proposition that would have required a physician or nurse practitioner with six months of experience on-site at kidney dialysis clinics, failed. According to a race call by AP News, 59% were against it while 41% were in favor of the proposition. 

Proposition 30, which aimed to increase funding for programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through a 1.75% increase in personal income tax for those who make over $2 million annually, didn’t pass. A race call by AP News reported that 59% were against and 41% were in favor of the proposition.

Official results of statewide ballot measures that passed or failed can also be found on the Secretary of State’s official website.

These preliminary results will continue to be counted until Dec. 8. The last day for mail-in ballots to be counted is Nov. 15.