Samuel Marshall
The Fresno State Bulldogs Men’s Golf Team competes at the 2022 Nick Watney Invitational at the Kings River Golf Course and Country Club in Kingsburg, CA on September 26, 2022. (Samuel Marshall Photography/ Fresno State Athletics)

Midseason updates: men’s golf, women’s golf and cross country

Mens Golf

The Fresno State men’s golf team got its season underway on Sept. 26 at the Nick Watney Invitational hosted by Kings River Country Club in Kingsburg.

As a team, Fresno State finished in third place out of 16 schools. The ‘Dogs at 22-under-par 22 finished eight strokes behind first place Long Beach State (-30) and three strokes behind second place CSU Fullerton (-25). 

On the individual side, Fresno State junior Matthew Sutherland finished fourth with a -11, and sophomore Joseph Lloyd placed sixth with -8. 

“Really solid play from [Lloyd] and [Sutherland] this week. We’re looking forward to competing at Nevada in a couple weeks,” Head Coach Chad Spencer told Fresno State Athletics.

Fresno State then traveled to Reno for the Wolf Pack Classic on Oct. 10. The Bulldogs weren’t as successful this time, tying for 10th place out of 12 schools and finishing with a -5. Sutherland put up another strong performance as the Sacramento native finished fourth and shot -9. 

The Bulldogs were able to rebound after their disappointing performance, with a sixth place finish out of 16 schools at the Visit Stockton Invitational on Oct. 20. The ‘Dogs were once again led by Sutherland, who placed fifth. Junior Matthew Manganello also finished tied for fifth place. Both finished 8 under par.

The team heads to Pebble Beach for its final match of the fall at the Saint Mary’s Invitational from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2.  

The Fresno State Bulldogs Men’s Golf Team competes at the 2022 Nick Watney Invitational at the Kings River Golf Course and Country Club in Kingsburg, CA on September 27, 2022. (Samuel Marshall Photography/Fresno State Athletics)

Womens Golf

The women’s golf team opened up its season in New Mexico at the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational on Sept. 12. Fresno State finished tied for 12th place out of 17 schools. Bulldog senior Harriet Lynch finished third place after shooting 4 under par. 

“It’s the first tournament of the year so there are definitely going to be things to improve on and learning moments. We struggled the first two rounds, but we regrouped with a team meeting and finished strong,” said Head Coach Lisa Ferraro.

Lynch built off her strong season opening performance with another top 10 finish after placing ninth at the Golfweek Red Sky Classic in Vail, Colorado. Fresno State freshman Katelyn Lehigh tied for 18th place. 

The ‘Dogs started off slow at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate in Denver, but a strong final round propelled the ‘Dogs to a top 10 finish. Lehigh was the top finisher for Fresno State, placing tied for 13th and shooting -1.

Fresno State’s fall season concluded after its visit to Hawaii for the Rainbow Wahine Invitational. The Bulldogs finished tied for sixth out of 13 schools. Lehigh earned her first career top-10 finish and shot +2. 

The Bulldogs season will resume on Feb. 6 at The Valley Invitational in Bakersfield.

Cross Country

Fresno State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams started their season Sept. 3 at Woodward Park for the Seawolf Invite. The men’s team finished third, while the women’s team finished second. 

Corie Smith led the women’s team with a fifth-place finish. The men’s team was led by Mohamed Saleh, who placed seventh. 

In The Riverside Invitational, Smith had one of the best races in Fresno State history. With a time of 21:47:05 in the 6K, Smith had the 17th fastest time in school history. Smith finished in 84th place.

As a team, Fresno State struggled, placing 28th out of 31 schools. 

The men’s team also had a poor performance, finishing 30th out of 30 schools. The team was missing junior Juanathan Reyes, who had a top-20 finish at the meet last season. 

Saleh once again was the first Bulldog to finish the race as he finished 165th. 

Fresno State men’s cross country competed in their season opener at Woodward Park. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

“It was nice to start the season in earnest today. We had some good things, but it shows us we have a lot of work to do. We will get back to work for another solid training block, and be better in two weeks, and more importantly in the month of October,” said Head Coach Jason Drake.

At the Pacific Collegiate Invitational, the women’s cross country team got eighth place out of 12 schools, and the men’s team got ninth place out of nine schools. 

For the men, Saleh was the top Bulldog runner and finished 45th. On the women’s side, Smith finished 14th. 

In the Bronco Invitational, the final meet before the Mountain West Championships, the women’s team got 22nd out of 28, and the men’s team got 25th out of 26. 

In his return from injury, Reyes placed 165th and was the second Fresno State runner, finishing behind Saleh. 

For the fourth straight race, Smith was the first Fresno State runner to finish, as she placed 61st.

The ‘Dogs are scheduled to compete at the NCAA West Regional in Seattle, Washington on Nov. 11.

Fresno State women’s cross country competed in their season opener at Woodward Park. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)