Running back Jordan Mims jumps into the end zone during the game against the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors on Nov. 5. (Estela Anahi Jaramillo/The Collegian)

Bulldogs win fourth straight game after dominant victory over Hawaii

The Fresno State football team defeated the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors 55-13 on Saturday for its fourth straight win.­

After losing in an upset against Hawaii last year, Fresno State put together its­most dominant performance of the season. The 55-point win was the biggest win for the Bulldogs against Hawaii since 2004 when they won 70-14. The win also snapped a two-game losing streak against Hawaii.

In his second game back from injury, quarterback Jake Haener put together one of his most efficient games in a Bulldog uniform. 

He completed 24 of 29 passes for 327 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. Haener’s 83 completion percentage was his second highest of his career and his highest against an FBS opponent in games with at least 10 pass attempts.

The Bulldogs won the opening kickoff and elected to defer, giving Hawaii the first possession of the game. The Rainbow Warriors got past midfield but missed a 48-yard field goal attempt.

Helped by a 21-yard rush by Jordan Mims, Fresno State took advantage of the good field possession as kicker Abraham Montaño made a 31-yard field goal to give Fresno State a 3-0 lead. 

On the next possession, Rainbow Warriors quarterback Brayden Schager’s pass was intercepted by cornerback Cam Lockridge, who returned it 31 yards to give the ‘Dogs a 10-0 advantage. 

After forcing a three-and-out, Fresno State had two big plays. Haener connected with receiver Nikko Remigio for a gain of 36 yards. Three plays later, Mims picked up another big run, taking a handoff 22 yards for a touchdown to put the ‘Dogs up 17-0.

After stopping the Rainbow Warriors on 4th and 6, the Bulldogs also went for it on fourth down. Unlike Hawaii, Fresno State completed its fourth down attempt and later scored after Haener connected with wide receiver Jalen Moreno-Cropper for a 7-yard touchdown. 

With less than a minute remaining in the first half, Fresno State scored yet another touchdown. Haener was forced out of the pocket and delivered a pass on the run. The pass was deflected, but wide receiver Erik Brooks made a diving catch for his third touchdown reception of the season. 

After only scoring 10 points in the first half last week against San Diego State, Fresno State scored 31 points, which is the most it has scored in any first half this season. 

Coming out of halftime, the Bulldogs took six minutes off the clock as they scored three points on a 25-yard field goal from backup kicker Dylan Lynch. 

After stopping Hawaii on fourth and one, Fresno State responded with a 59-yard touchdown pass to Moreno-Cropper for his second touchdown of the game. 

The Rainbow Warriors got into Bulldog territory but once again unsuccessful on fourth down, this time coming short on a 4th and 1. 

With the lead at 41 coming into the fourth quarter, several Fresno State fans left the game. 

Less than a minute into the fourth quarter, Haener threw his fourth touchdown of the game, this time to Remigio.

The next possession, backup quarterback Logan Fife took over. On that same possession, running back Elijah Gilliam recorded his first career touchdown.

The Rainbow Warriors finally got on the board with a 1-yard touchdown run from Nasjzaé Bryant-Lelei. 

Hawaii scored again with 35 seconds remaining to cut the score to 55-13 as the extra point was blocked. 

With the win Fresno State improves to 5-4 and 4-1 in the Mountain West, putting them in first place in the West Division.

The ‘Dogs will head to Las Vegas as they take on the UNLV Rebels on Nov. 11.