David Perales is the Collegian’s October Athlete of the Month. (Graphic by Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

The Collegian’s Athlete of the Month: Football’s David Perales

David Perales has made his way up in the month of October. His performance in the homecoming game against San José State led Perales to be named the defensive player of the week for the Mountain West Conference. 

This season, Perales leads the team with eight tackles for a loss (TFL) and 6.5 sacks. In his Fresno State career, Perales has 17.5 sacks and is one sack away from breaking the Top 10 in Bulldog Football program history for career sacks.

Perales finished the game against the Spartans with five tackles that were all for a loss and four sacks. With this new career high, he currently has the most sacks in a game by any MW player this season. 

He now holds the second-most sacks in a game among all Fresno State football players this season. His career-high sacks were the first by a Bulldog since 2000, and the most by any MW player since the 2019 season. 

With his career-high five tackles for a loss in a single game, it is also the most in a game by any MW player in the 2022 season and the second-most in a game by any Fresno State player and any MW player in the history of the league. These TFLs are the most since Bulldog Ejiro Ederaine in 2014.