One of the regular carnival rides at the Big Fresno Fair. (Larry Valenzuela/The Collegian)

The Big Fresno Fair is back. Here’s what you need to know.

The Big Fresno Fair is returning to the Fresno County Fairgrounds now through Oct. 16. Here’s what you need to know about the entertainment, the food and how to get the best deals on tickets.

Entertainment

This year’s Table Mountain Concert Series, held in the Paul Paul Theater, features music and comedy. 

Country singer Dwight Yoakam will kick off the series on Oct. 5, followed by Ice Cube’s return to the Paul Paul Theater on Oct. 6. Tickets for both concerts will be sold separately from fair admission. 

Oct. 7’s performance by the tribute band Queen Nation will be the only Paul Paul Theater event that is free with admission.

Danny Trejo will host “Cruising to the Souldies” on Oct. 8, followed on Oct. 9 by Banda Cuisillos y El Coyote. The rock band The Pretty Reckless takes the stage on Oct. 10, with KMJ’s 100th Anniversary Celebration on Oct. 11; and Midland, who canceled its 2021 fair concert after a tour crew member tested positive for COVID-19, will perform on Oct. 12.

Dana Carvey, a former Saturday Night Live cast member, will take the stage on Oct. 13. Christian musician Phil Wickham will follow on Oct. 14, with Ladies Night Out ft. Ashanti and Baby Bash on Oct. 15 and Quebradita Time: 2022 Tour on Oct. 16 closing out the performances.

The fair has also partnered again with Blue Shell Gaming to bring the Pop! Culture Experience back after it debuted last year. The experience will include vendors, cosplay characters, retro and next-gen gaming and gaming tournaments. 

The Pop! Culture Experience will also feature multiple celebrity guests, including Leilani Shiu, who recently portrayed Teeka in “Obi-Wan Kenobi” on Disney Plus, and Christian Ganiere, who played Number 010 in “Stranger Things” on Netflix.

Admission into the building is free. Gaming access is $10 per hour or $25 for the day. 

More free entertainment will be available throughout the week as well, including competitive exhibits, concerts at the Craft Brew Court, performances at the Mexican Heritage Patio, the Xpogo Stunt Team and the new to the fair Tanzanite African Acrobats.

Food

For many attending the fair the food is key, and this year the Big Fresno Fair is advertising three new vendors with unique treats.

Chicken Charlie’s, the self-described “Deep Fry King,”will be bringing three new food items to the fair this year. The buffalo chicken mac and cheese sandwich as well as the Kool-Aid fried chicken sandwich will be available at its location, as well as Kool-Aid in a baby bottle to wash it down.

Aurora’s Autentica Comida Mexicana will be bringing champurrado, esquite and quesabirria tacos to join the usual offerings from Pepe’s Mariscos.

Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls will be introducing the caramel apple cinnamon roll this year, but many more familiar treats will be available as well. 

The fair’s website promises churro ice cream sandwiches will be available from Churro Zone while cotton candy and deep-fried Oreo cookies will be available at Brian’s Concession. 

More favorites will return from Big Bubba’s Bad BBQ, Finger Steaks and Fries, Colossal Dog, Corn Stars and Log Cabin Concessions.

Tickets

This year the Big Fresno Fair is once again offering multiple promotions to help fairgoers get a deal on tickets and carnival wristbands. 

The “Pint for a Pass” blood drive is offering an early chance to get a deal, available now through Oct. 15. Donors will receive a buy one, get one free admission ticket voucher redeemable online or at the box office. 

Donors will also be entered to win a free pair of concert or reserved seat horse racing tickets and fair admission, with winners chosen randomly throughout the blood drive.

O’Reilly Auto Parts is currently offering a discount on season passes, which can be used to visit the fair as often as desired. Now through Oct. 16, season passes can be purchased for $40, which is an $8 discount. 

Save Mart and FoodMaxx stores are currently selling fair admission tickets and unlimited carnival ride wristbands for a discounted price. Tickets will be $2 off while wristbands will be up to $7 off.

The fair will offer several discount days as well, starting with “Seniors and Special Interest Day” on Monday, Oct. 10, during which seniors ages 62 and older as well as people with disabilities can enter the fair for free until 1 p.m. and for half price after 1 p.m.

On Tuesday, Oct. 11, “Fans and Followers” can get $2 fair admission during the “happy hour” entry time of 4 – 7 p.m. if they connect with the fair via social media accounts and show a barcode that will be posted the day before.

On Wednesday, Oct. 12, or “Sun-Maid Kids’ Day,” children ages 12 and under are free with paid adult admission.

Regular admission tickets are available for purchase now at $12 for adults and $8 for seniors and children. Children ages five and under are free. 

Unlimited carnival ride wristbands are $33.