Adela Santana-Mullooly pictured with her family in an image used for a GoFundMe in her honor. (Courtesy of GoFundMe)

Students and community honor late Professor Adela Santana-Mullooly

After Dr. Adela Santana-Mullooly’s tragic passing on Sunday, Oct. 2, the campus and local community is remembering and honoring the Fresno State and Clovis Community College professor.

Students from both colleges shared their memories of the late professor with The Collegian, emphasizing the impact Santana-Mullooly had on their education.

Fresno State senior Isa Mercado Montoya recalled meeting Santana-Mullooly during COVID-19 in an online class where they bonded over their experiences as mothers. 

“We both opened up about our kids’ challenges. The way she spoke to me made me feel understood. We also both spoke in Spanish. She was so nice and kind. I never expected to be able to open up to a professor about my child development as much as I did to her,” Montoya said.

Izzy Sinor from Clovis Community College also took an online course with the professor during COVID-19, and agreed that Santana-Mullooly particularly stepped up for her students during that time.

“[She] recognized we were all being affected by COVID-19 in different ways, and she accommodated us and showed us that we weren’t just part of her job. She truly cared for every one of her students and tried her best to connect with each of us,” Sinor said.

Other students, alumni, coworkers and community members who knew Santana-Mullooly have the chance to support her family through two fundraisers on GoFundMe.

One fundraiser, organized by friends of the family, is specifically raising proceeds to “help [Santana-Mullooly’s] family get through this difficult time while they deal with their devastating loss,” according to the description.

The fundraiser has already raised more than its $20,000 goal with 235 donations totaling over $25,000 as of Oct. 14. Its description lamented the tragic nature of Santana-Mullooly’s death. 

“On Sunday, Adela was riding bikes with friends when she was hit and killed by a car that crossed over into her lane. She did nothing wrong. Our friend is gone, and I’m heartbroken that I will never get to laugh again with her nor see her beautiful, smiling face,” the description said.

A second fundraiser has been organized by Leslie King and Monica Chahal from the Clovis Community College. It too has surpassed its goal of $1,000, having reached over $6,000 with 72 donations as of Oct. 13.

“Adela Santana was known for her bright smile and contagious enthusiasm. She loved teaching, cared deeply about her students and was truly honored to be part of the Clovis Community College,” Chalal said in the description.

The fundraisers are just one way that those who interacted with Santana-Mullooly are honoring the late professor and her family.

“I am deeply saddened by her loss and I want her family to know they are not alone,” Sinor said. “She impacted a lot of lives during her time as a professor and she is greatly missed by her students.”

In honor of Santana-Mullooly’s life, a funeral and memorial service was held on Tuesday, Oct. 11. Fresno State also lowered all flags to half-staff that day in her memory.