Fresno State students dance the “Cupid Shuffle” during “Disco with the ‘Dogs” at the Ruiz Ballrooms in the Resnick Student Union at 7 p.m. on Oct. 14. (Manuel Hernandez/The Collegian)

Silence! At The Student Disco for Homecoming Week

Fresno State closed out its penultimate day of homecoming week with “Disco with the ‘Dogs” on Oct. 14 at the Ruiz conference rooms in the Resnick Student Union (RSU). 

The event featured a silent headphone disco that kicked off at 7 p.m.

Attendees were loaned a pair of headphones with three different music stations to tune into. All three stations, defined by the colors green, blue and red, played a variety of music.­

All three stations had designated dancing spots in the conference room. The blue section was located on the far side, the green section was in the middle and the red was the closest to the door and had the largest dance area. 

The red station was the most popular of the three, with large groups of people gathering around the red area to partake in conga lines and the “Cha-Cha Slide.”  

The event was one of the first held in the new student union, which officially opened on Oct. 4. The addition of the RSU to the campus has given the homecoming committee a new location to hold student gathering events. 

“It’s nice to have another big space for student events to take place in,” said Melissa Harley, Fresno State junior and homecoming committee member. “We’ve held meetings every week since spring where we brainstorm different events that we think students would be most interested in.”

Many students found out about the silent disco on social media platforms. Hector Suarez, a sophomore, found out about the event on Instagram. 

“I was scrolling on Instagram and I saw that they were going to do a silent disco event at the new student union. I had never been to one before and I wanted to see what it was all about,” Suarez said. 

Some students, like senior Brandon Stewart, were taken to the event by friends.

“I was hanging out with my friend and he was dragging me here. At first I didn’t want to go but he told me it was a silent disco and I was intrigued,” Stewart said.

Being able to have control over what music station was playing was one of the bright spots for students. 

“I enjoyed the music selection a lot and I liked that they had three different stations, so usually there’s something for everyone. My favorite songs of the night were ‘24K Magic’ by Bruno Mars and ‘Billie Jean’ by Michael Jackson,” sophomore Matthew Frasier said.

Even though a majority of the students enjoyed the music, not everyone was a fan of the song selections.

“I wish they played more [from the band] Men I Trust. I’m about to go up to the DJ, give him $20 and just see if he could start playing some good stuff,” Stewart said.

Students said they would be open to similar events in the future. 

“I do wish they hosted more events like [the silent disco]. I like getting involved in student activities and going to events with friends and meeting new people,” Suarez said. 

“I could see myself coming to an event like this in the future with a group of friends,” Fraiser said.