Matilde Magrini in her singles match against Colorado State on March 27 at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. (Melina Kazanjian/ The Collegian)

Jittakoat and Magrini head to compete in ITA All-American Championships

The ‘Dogs duo is fresh off their first fall tournament where the two All-Mountain West caliber players made the quarterfinals in doubles play. 

The pair reached the quarterfinals with an 8-3 victory over Arizona State’s Marianna Argyrokastriti and Sedona Gallagher before falling to Pepperdine’s duo of Janice Tjen and Savannah Broadus. 

Despite the loss, the two picked up two more victories in their final two exhibition matches. The duo first won  6-2 against USF’s Azaria Hayes and Qianer Qui and then 6-2 against San Francisco’s Hana Gamracy. 

In singles play, both Jittakoat and Magrini suffered losses in their first two matches. However, Magrini made up for it with a two-set singles win in her third match 6-3, 6-3. 

Jittakoat, the reigning Mountain West player of the year, followed suit by winning both of her final two matches to close out the weekend. 

The pair is now in North Carolina competing in qualifying play to reach the main draw of the ITA All-American Championships. 

The event will be hosted by University of North Carolina, North Carolina State and Duke at the Cary Tennis Park. The pre-qualifying round kicked off on Saturday and qualifying play will run from Oct. 3-4. Main draw play will be from Oct. 5-9.­

Pang Jittakoat in her singles match against Colorado State on March 27 at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. (Melina Kazanjian/ The Collegian)