Bulldog defensive back Bralyn Lux intercepted SJSU ‘s Cordeiro’s pass intended for a touchdown on Oct. 15, 2022. (Aidan Garaygordobil/ The Collegian)

Fresno State battles for the Old Oil Can this Saturday

Fresno State’s football team will host San Diego State to battle for the Old Oil Can, with the ‘Dogs attempting to claim their third straight victory. 

Despite the ‘Dogs current hot streak, the Aztecs are favored by 8.5 points in the matchup, according to Mountain West Wire.

However, it seems like the same story as last year: when an undefeated Aztec squad is favored to win, they are handed their first loss by Fresno State.

The ‘Dogs currently hold a 3-4 overall (2-1 MW) record, while the Aztecs sit above the .500 mark at 4-3 overall (2-1 MW). 

Fresno State Head Coach Jeff Tedford is thrilled for the opportunity to play at home again as four of Fresno State’s last five games have been on the road. 

“It’s awesome to come home, and I’m really excited to be in front of our fans again. It’s going to be a great game and a huge matchup for us, so we’re going to need [fans],” Tedford said.

One of the biggest factors in the ‘Dogs’ recent success is the stout defensive play shown against their last two opponents. 

Fresno State’s defense has only one touchdown in its last two matchups, the lone score being San Jose State scoring off a short-field opportunity. 

“I think some of our younger guys that were either backups or are just now starting to see a lot of playing time are starting to get a better feel for the game,” said Tedford. “[The defense] has done a great job against teams running the ball and we’ve done really well at keeping teams out of the endzone.”

While the ‘Dogs are being lifted by the highlight plays of inexperienced players, their need to do so comes from the considerably large amount of injuries faced by the team. 

On the offensive side of the ball, star quarterback Jake Haener is still sidelined from a high ankle sprain even though he has shown some ability to perform in practice. 

The wide-receiver core also took a hit as Emoryie Edwards is out for the season following a severe knee injury, while Josh Kelly was rumored to return but his status still remains ambiguous. 

Defensive  linebacker Raymond Scott is out for the season after a thumb injury that requires surgery and defensive back Justin Houston is expected to be fully utilized in the matchup. 

The ‘Dogs also have another plethora of defensive backs that have made some progress in returning. With Steven Comstock, Elijah Gates, and LJ Early beginning to practice and possibly even suit up for the ‘Dogs. 

Despite the injuries concerns, Tedford remains adamant that whichever group of guys play on Saturday will be fully prepared to compete against the Aztecs.  

“We always talk about purpose, preparation and commitment. We definitely have a purpose and our guys have been very good at preparing and staying committed through the process,” said Tedford. “When you have setbacks like injuries and losing in the fourth quarter it’s very challenging. Even though there’s been disappointment there hasn’t been discouragement.”