Shelby Robinette has been named National Collegiate Equestrian Association Reining Rider of the Month. (Xochitl Ortega/ Fresno State Athletics)

Equestrian team jumps into 2022 season

Fresno State’s equestrian team opened its 2022 season with an 11-8 loss to Texas A&M at the Student Horse Center on Sept. 30. The Bulldogs came into the contest ranked No. 8, and the Aggies were ranked No. 3.

Fresno State finished last season with a 6-11 record. Even though they had a losing record, the Bulldogs finished the season ranked No. 8 in the National Collegiate Equestrian Association (NCEA) rankings.

After going into the break with a narrow 5-4 lead, Fresno State was outscored 7-3 in the second half. 

Despite the loss, two Bulldogs were awarded Most Outstanding Players (MOP). In the flat, senior Ana Bertozzi won her sixth career MOP. Sophomore Shelby Robinette won her first career MOP in the reining.

Ana Bertozzi has been named the Big 12 Flat Rider of the Month. (Xochitl Ortega/ Fresno State Athletics)

Bertozzi won both of her matchups in the fences and flat.

Robinette scored a 79 in the reining, which set a program record for Fresno State and also tied­the third highest score in NCEA history.­

In the fences, the Bulldogs were led by Bertozzi and junior Taylor Holstead. Both totaled 82 points. 

Robinette and Bertozzi both received awards as a result of their performances. Robinnette was named the NCEA Reining Rider of the Month. Bertozzi was awarded the Big 12 Flat Rider of the Month. This was her second monthly award, but her first in the flat. 

Fresno State will return home to face No. 6 ranked Auburn on Saturday, Oct. 15 at the Student Horse Center.