Preslee Lillard and Kasey Purry jump up to block a spike from Nevada in the first Mountain West conference game of the season at the Save Mart Center. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)

Women’s volleyball opens Mountain West play with loss against Nevada

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team opened up Mountain West play by falling in a five-set thriller against Nevada 2-3.

With the loss, the Bulldogs fall to 6-7 on the season and 0-1 in the Mountain West. The Wolf Pack improved to 7-5 and 1-0. 

“Defensively, we need to tighten up a little bit. There were a few awkward plays we needed to capitalize on,” said Abbie Wright, the interim head coach. “When we pass well, we’re really getting some great attacking looks and getting the other team out of position.”

The Wolf Pack jumped out to a fast start, scoring six consecutive points to open up the first set. The ‘Dogs fought their way back to even up the score at 16 apiece. After falling behind 19-18, the ‘Dogs went on a 6-1 run to win the first set 25-20.

Ella Rud serves the ball in the first Mountain West conference game against Nevada at the Save Mart Center. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)

Once again the Wolf Pack got off to a fast start, taking a 9-3 lead and forcing a Bulldogs’ timeout. Down 23-17, the ‘Dogs scored four straight points to cu t the once seven-point deficit to two points. That was as close as they got, however, before dropping the second set 25-22, which knotted the score at one set each.­

The third set was tightly contested. The ‘Dogs rattled off six straight points to take a 14-8 lead. A late push by Nevada made Fresno State’s lead dwindle to two points. A kill by outside hitter Lauren Sabbatani clinched the set for Fresno State as they took the third set 25-22. 

The fourth set was another close one, with neither team able to gain much momentum. The Wolf Pack scored three of the final four points to take the fourth set 25-22, forcing a decisive fifth set. Outside hitter Ella Rud had a strong set for the ‘Dogs, tallying five kills.­

Fresno State volleyball team celebrates a Bulldog point in the first Mountain West conference game of the season at the Save Mart Center. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)

The fifth set was full of energy. The Bulldogs’ supporters and Bulldog Marching Band had several chants going back and forth with the Wolf Pack bench until officials warned their bench. 

The Wolf Pack went ahead 8-7 at the halfway point and stayed in the lead the rest of the way, winning 15-12.

Rud and middle blocker Grace Doyle led the way for the ‘Dogs with 18 and 13 kills respectively. 

Despite the loss in her first Mountain West match, Wright said she’s having a great time working with this year’s roster.

“They are here to learn and are wanting to be great, and they’re just a really fun and humorous group,” Wright said.

The Fresno State Bulldogs will face the San Jose State Spartans on Sept. 24 at the Save Mart Center.­

Olivia Keller and Grace Doyle block Nevada’s Andrea Alcaraz spike in the first Mountain West conference game of the season at the Save Mart Center. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)