Students getting free ice cream at the front of the Resnick Student Union on Sept. 22. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

Resnick Student Union welcomes students during soft opening

The soft opening of the Resnick Student Union (RSU) greeted students with music, festivities and free ice cream on Sept. 22.

“It’s kind of empty for now, but I like all the nooks and crannies with all the chairs. I like the wooden steps up where you can sit down,” said Nicole Lopez, a nursing major visiting the RSU.

The 84,000-square-foot student union invited students and visitors to relax and explore in the new building for the first time. 

Speakers and tables were set up beside the north entrance, offering students free Fresno State ice cream courtesy of the Alegría Mental Health Task Force.

The three planned dining options, The Habit Burger Grill, Taco Bell and a soup and salad option, are not yet open and are anticipated to open in spring 2023.

“There’s a lot of really nice chairs, and I’m really excited for the dining options to open up,” said Sofia Zubacz, a nursing major. 

Lounge and study areas were open for students to relax and gather in, with campus organizations including Homecoming and Associated Students Inc. (ASI) tabling to greet visitors.

ASI Executive Vice President Karen Carrillo tabled with ASI at the grand staircase located on the first floor of the RSU.

Students walking up the grand staircase in the Resnick Student Union on Sept. 22. (Wyatt Bible/The Collegian)

“It’s honestly very exciting. I’ve been counting down the days until we opened up again. I love seeing students just being interested [and] being curious, [and] walking into our office as well,” Carrillo said. 

ASI’s offices were relocated from its previous location in the University Student Union (USU) to the RSU, and Carrillo said she hopes students can become more familiar with ASI through tabling at events like the soft opening. 

The three floors of the RSU host a number of conference rooms and lounge spaces for students, and the building came to life during the soft opening.

“It was a truly gratifying feeling watching students use the spaces that were once just an idea,” said Amy Allen, interim associate dean for student involvement.

Allen said that a steady flow of students visiting the RSU continued throughout the day.

Beginning Sept. 26, students will be able to sign up for tours of the RSU for an opportunity to win vouchers at university dining locations while supplies last, according to Allen.

Students can sign up for tours through an online form.

The RSU will remain open and accessible for students, alumni and campus community. For many, it is a place they are looking forward to using and working in.

“I think it’s super cool, and I have kind of gone around tried different seats,” said Samuel Galindo, a history major. “I’m a huge fan of the majority of them. They’re all super comfortable, and I’m looking forward to spending time in here studying.”

A ribbon-cutting ceremony for the RSU is planned for Oct. 4 at the north entrance of the student union, and further information will be provided in the coming week.