The Red Wave traveled over 200 miles to the Coliseum in the city of Angels. (Blake Wolf/ The Collegian)

Red Wave travels to the Coliseum to cheer on the Bulldogs

Despite suffering a blowout defeat by USC last Saturday, Sept. 17, Fresno State’s football team still received a considerable amount of fan support at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. 

Hundreds of the Red Wave made the trip down Highway 99, traveling over 200 miles to watch the Bulldogs. 

While the team may not have “taken over” the Coliseum like it did at the Rose Bowl a year ago, fans still attended in droves. Fresno State gear could still be seen in the stands of the Coliseum.

Unlike last season’s UCLA game where the Red Wave was able to sit together, the fans at USC were scattered across the stadium.

Now, the team holds a losing record for the first time since the beginning of 2020, but there are still many Bulldog faithful willing to support when they can. 

“Win or lose, I’ll always support my Bulldogs,” said Fresno State fan Richard Torres. “Last week was a heartbreaker, but it was a good team. I think we can beat anyone, and even if we lose I’ll be at any game I can get to.”

Torres has been to every Fresno State football home game since the 2018 season, as well as attending several in-state matchups including last year’s game against UCLA and the 2019 USC matchup. 

Despite never having attended Fresno State, the Fresno native is still an avid supporter of the Bulldogs’ program. 

“I love going to games and tailgating. The atmosphere at any game is great, and there’s nothing better to do on a Saturday in Fresno,” Torres said.

The unwavering support seemed to be prominent for the rest of Red Wave who made the three-hour trip. 

Fans packed into the stands next to the Bulldog Marching Band in sections 102 and 202 and cheered for the ‘Dogs throughout the entire game despite the lackluster performance.

It will be nearly a month before Fresno State hosts its next home game. With the team’s next matchup doubling as homecoming on Oct. 15, the Red Wave will undoubtedly make their presence known despite the team’s record.