Samuel Marshall
The Fresno State Bulldogs take on the Cal Poly Mustangs at Valley Children’s Stadium in Fresno, CA on September 1, 2022. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

New Bulldogs flood the field in the 4th-annual Victor-E run

The 2022 Fresno State football home opener was more than the Bulldogs’ first matchup of the season, as it also hosted the fourth-annual Run to Victor-E event. 

More than 6,000 students packed the stadium on Thursday night, with hundreds of first-time freshmen students ready to experience their first collegiate sporting event. 

The event gave hundreds of freshmen and first year students the opportunity to get free game tickets and run across the Jim Sweeney Field at Valley Children’s Stadium. 

Despite the run being marketed towards freshmen, a variety of first time Bulldogs used the opportunity to show their school spirit by participating. 

Among these students was third-year transfer student Rogelio Garcia, who attended his first football game after coming from Bakersfield College. 

“I think it’s cool that we get to run on the field,” Garcia said. “This is the first Fresno State game I’ve ever been to and I didn’t know what to expect. But so far it’s been really fun.”

With the ‘Dogs’ home opener being the first campus event that Garcia attended, it has left him excited to see what the campus has to offer. 

“As a transfer [student] that’s not from around Fresno, I’ve been trying to go out and do stuff around campus. I’ve really just been to class and back to my apartment, but it looks like there’s a lot of fun stuff going on on game day,” Garcia said. 

Among these first-time freshmen students was Aaron Salinas, a Fresno native who has grown up around Bulldog football. 

“I went to a lot of Fresno State games growing up, but I always wanted to know what it was like to sit in the student section. I definitely never thought I’d be able to go on the field unless I joined the band, so being able to run across with my friends was awesome,” Salinas said. 

With the Run to Victor-E event capping off week one of the season, thousands more students have already secured tickets for this week’s matchup against Oregon State. 

The rapid purchase of tickets gives the ‘Dogs the possibility of a sellout crowd for the first time since last year’s matchup against Boise State.