Wyatt Bible
Javier Forero is the Bass Guitarist and a vocalist for the band, Divino Niño (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Divino Niño performs at Strummer’s along with other indie artists

The Chicago-based, indie-pop band Divino Niño hit the stage at Strummer’s on its second day of touring with Little Jesus and Tatiana Hazel on Sunday, Sept. 11, at 7 p.m. 

Lead singers Javier Forero and Camilo Medina came up together during their childhoods in Bogotá, Colombia, until they eventually met Guillermo Rodriguez, Pierce Codina and Justin Vittori, forming Divino Niño. 

When asked where the band’s name came from, lead singer Forero said, “Eventually we were just like, ‘How about Baby Jesus, but in Spanish?’ and then it kind of stuck around.” 

Spirituality is a major theme that is implemented in Divino Niño’s newest LP “Last Spa on Earth.” Some band members shared their personal experiences and conflictions when it came to religion.  

“Me and Camilo grew up in this cultish, Christian church, and at some point we were just like, ‘Man, this is kind of crazy.’ It was really difficult to get out of,” Forero said. 

During the concert, the band performed “XO” from its latest LP, which was meant to encompass the religious upbringing that Forero and Medina underwent while growing up. 

The song showcases the band’s musical choice to infuse Spanish and English lyrics in an effort to include the band member’s culture within their music.

This isn’t a new decision by the band, who have been incorporating Spanish into its music since its 2019 indie-rock album “Foam.”

Songs such as “Quiero” and “Maria” are just a few that are sung in Spanish. 

Divino Niño also embraces its Hispanic culture through the influence of popular Hispanic genres of music. 

“Tu Tonto” from the LP fuses both modern indie-rock as well as reggaeton, a popular Latin American dance genre. 

The jump from its previous album “Foam” to its newest LP is a slightly different but welcoming one, according to Forero. 

“I think the earlier albums [are like] doodling, and you’re kind of trying to find your voice,” Forero said. “This [album] is kind of closer to us finding our voice.”

The band displayed this sense of confidence in their established sound throughout their performance, while co-headliner Tatiana Hazel complemented the dreamy-pop atmosphere with songs such as “It’s All Right” and “Hasta Que,” which also fuse English and Spanish lyrics. 

Mexico City-based alternative-rock band Little Jesus concluded the event for the night, adding to the danceable Mexican indie-rock atmosphere while performing songs such as “La Magia and TQM” from their 2016 album “Río Salvaje.”

Hispanic and American indie-rock culture came together that night while each artist performed, bringing both audience and band members together through similar cultures and music.

This is, however, not the first time Divino Niño has performed in Fresno. 

Psychedelic indie-rock band Chicano Batman performed in May 2022 at Tioga Sequoia Brewing Company in Fresno, and Divino Niño’s connections through their previous label, Inner Wave, enabled them to headline Chicano Batman’s show.

“Yeah, we’ve always wanted to play together. I think they reached out to us and then we just made it work,” Forero said.

This is not the last time they will visit Fresno either, according to Forero.

“I’ve heard of Fresno but I’ve never been. [With Chicano Batman] was my first time. Honestly, the people were so cool, they were so welcoming. I really like Fresno,” Forero said. 

Divino Niño’s LP will be released on Sept. 23, 2022.