Wide receiver Nikko Remigio jumps over Mustang athletes in their season opener on Sept. 1, 2022, at Valley Children’s Stadium. (Manuel Hernandez/ The Collegian)

Bulldogs defeat the Mustangs in the season opener

The Red Wave filled Valley Children’s Stadium in 102 degree weather for the Bulldogs first game of the season against the Cal Poly Mustangs on Sept. 1, 2022. The Bulldogs clinched a 35-7 victory.

Starting off at the 2-yard line in the first quarter, Jordan Mims rushed up the middle and kicked off the Bulldogs’ season by scoring the first touchdown of the game with 8:37 left in the first quarter. 

In the first quarter, Mims helped the Bulldogs advance their score with two touchdowns, rushing 39 yards in six plays for the ‘Dogs. 

After the Mustangs remained scoreless in the first quarter, the Bulldogs let a ball slip through for the Mustangs in the second quarter to score a touchdown. 

The Mustangs came back in the second quarter after their 21 point deficit in the first quarter. 

Cal Poly sacked Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener three times in the second quarter, coming out stronger defensively compared to the first quarter. 

The Bulldogs returned with intensity after halftime to make up for what they left out on the field in the first half. Gavriel Lightfoot kicked off the energy by sacking Cal Poly quarterback Jaden Jones. 

Fresno State kept Cal Poly’s offense scoreless in the third quarter as well.

On offense, Haener threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Mims, giving Fresno State its fourth touchdown of the game with 8:53 left in the third quarter.

As the game neared the end of the third quarter, the Red Wave began to leave before the final whistle, with the score set at 28-7. 

Those who left missed the fifth touchdown for the Bulldogs, with Haener’s touchdown pass to Raymond Pauwells increasing the Bulldogs’ lead to 35-7. 

Mims led the ‘Dogs to victory tonight, rushing over 75 yards and his two touchdowns. Haener passed for a total of 377 yards for the first game of the season and Nikko Remigio led in receiving with over 100 yards. 

Though the ‘Dogs were victorious, the Mustangs put up the pressure on Thursday compared to its 63-10 loss last year