Bulldog Devo Bridges takes down Beaver Deshaun Fenwick in a game against Oregon State on Sept. 10. (Estela Anahi Jaramillo/The Collegian)

Bulldogs suffer first loss of the season to Beavers in sold-out game

In an upset loss to Oregon State, a sold-out Valley’s Children Stadium witnessed Fresno State defeated in the final seconds of the game with a Beaver walk-off touchdown Saturday night.

It looked to be a Bulldog victory as the trailing Beavers had little over a minute left to score. But in the last play of the fourth quarter, Oregon State linebacker Jack Colletto led a wildcat formation into the endzone to score the final touchdown, defeating Fresno State 35-32.

“We lost the game. That’s the bottom line. We lost the game. We couldn’t make stops when we needed to,” Tedford said at the press conference following the game. 

Saturday night was another Red Wave takeover at the Valley Children’s Stadium due to the highly contested matchup with their Pac-12 rivals, the Oregon State Beavers.

Fresno State won the coin toss but deferred to Oregon State. Although the Beavers received the ball at kickoff, their first drive went three and out. The ‘Dogs’ offense also remained scoreless in their first drive.

Bulldog Raymond Scott pressures Beavers during a game against Oregon State on Sept. 10. (Estela Anahi Jaramillo/The Collegian)

After a 32-yard punt from Bulldog kicker Carson King, the Beavers successfully attacked the Bulldog defense in their next drive, going for it twice on fourth down in the first quarter. Colletto brought Oregon State to the endzone in a 2-yard rush touchdown.

Fresno State answered back the following drive, getting over the third down hump with a 42-yard rush touchdown by Jordan Mims, tying the game 7-7.

The Beavers then suffered an 8-yard sack courtesy of Bulldog linebacker Raymond Scott to close out the first quarter of play.

In the second quarter, Bulldog quarterback Jake Haener moved the offense down the field with connections to wide receivers Jalen Moreno-Cropper and Josh Kelly, but the drive ultimately came up short. 

The ‘Dogs missed their 3-point field goal attempt, which gave Oregon State the momentum to score a 36-yard run from Silas Bolden to the endzone. This gave the Beavers a 14-7 lead, with around nine minutes left of the first half.  

The ‘Dogs second drive would yield better results but still no touchdown. Fresno State found itself as close as the 3-yard line of Oregon State but settled with a 21-yard field goal kick by kicker Abraham Montaño, with the Beavers leading 14-10.

Another three and out would follow the Beavers when quarterback Chance Nolan was sacked by Isaiah Johnson. 

Bulldog Nikko Remigio took over the following drive with a 27-yard punt return and a 15-yard reception, bringing the Bulldogs closer to the endzone. However, Fresno State again settled for another 3-point field goal, ending the first half with Oregon State leading 14-13.

The Bulldogs started the second half of play firing offensively, with connections from Haener to Mims carrying Fresno State to the 33-yard line before sputtering out. Montaño’s successful 43-yard field goal gave the Bulldogs its first lead of the game at 16-14. 

A defensive stance by the Bulldogs, capped off by a tackle for no gain by linebacker Levelle Bailey, returned the ball back to Fresno State following the possession. 

Fresno State found its rhythm following a defensive stop with another scoring drive. Haener connected with receiver Kelly for a 60-yard gain before ending the drive with a handoff to Mims from 11 yards out to score, making it his second of the night.

The ‘Dogs increased their lead, 23-14, with around six minutes left of the third quarter. 

Bulldog Jordan Mims runs down the field during a game against Oregon State on Sept. 10. (Estela Anahi Jaramillo/The Collegian)

The Beavers fought back as Anthony Gould caught a 42-yard pass by Nolan. This led to a 4-yard rush into the endzone by Deshaun Fenwick and closing the Bulldog lead at 23-21. 

The next Fresno State drive was plagued with penalties for the ‘Dogs and a behind the line of scrimmage sack on Haener by Oregon State player Kitan Oladapo. With a Bulldog punt, the Beavers suffered a 2-yard loss on an inside run before the end of the third quarter. 

A three and out for the Beavers set up a punt and fair catch for Remigio. The offensive possession brought out kicker Montaño for his fifth field goal attempt. The successful kick from 37 yards out increased the Bulldog lead at 26-21 with 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. 

The Beavers’ next possession had the team moving around midfield. A huge hit by Fresno State’s Cam Lockridge on Tyjon Lindsey led to a fourth down attempt by the Beavers. Looking for Gould, Nolan’s pass would fall incomplete and give the Dogs a decent field position. 

The Bulldogs were hit with two costly false start penalties, pushing its offense back and ending the drive with a second failed field goal attempt by Montaño.

Oregon State immediately made a 30-yard pass to Luke Musgrave before another Nolan completion to Tre’Shaun Harrison for 17 yards made his way to the endzone. The Beavers succeeded their two-point attempt, making the score 29-26 with 1:50 remaining in the fourth. 

The Bulldogs started at their own 20-yard line because of a penalty connected with Moreno-Cropper for a 45-yard gain, setting up for a 4-yard reception by Erik Brooks for a touchdown. Montaño’s third failed point after attempt left the Bulldogs with the lead 32-29. 

With 58 seconds remaining, strikes by Nolan and Fresno State penalties, the Beavers moved down the field coming to a pivotal first down for the Beavers at the Bulldog two endzone. 

The Beavers made the decision to set up for a field goal before a timeout called by Fresno State, which concluded with Oregon State’s final blow to the Bulldogs. The drive by Colletto into the endzone with no time left scored the final touchdown, ending the game 35-32.

“I think we moved the ball well, I think we did a lot of good things,” Haener said. “We got to score touchdowns.” 

The Bulldogs will take on another Pac-12 conference opponent next week when they head to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to face the USC Trojans on Saturday, Sept. 17.