Associated Students Inc. senators gathers in meeting on Aug. 24, 2022. (Aidan Garaygordobil/The Collegian)

Associated Students Inc. appoints new officials on senate council

Three new senators were approved by Associated Students Inc. (ASI) during its Sept. 7 meeting held in the Leon S. Peters Ellipse Gallery in the Library.

Senators approved Aidan Garaygordobil, a fourth-year student, as the senator for the College of Arts and Humanities. Garaygordobil previously served this position for the 2021-22 academic year.

“I spent a lot of last year talking to people within my college trying to figure out what they really needed and what needs to be done,” Garaygordobil said.

He said he previously did not run for the senator position because he was running for the ASI presidential seat.

With experience in student involvement, ASI and other areas on campus, Garaygordobil said returning to his previous position will allow him to complete projects he has already begun progress on.

The senate also approved Monica Herrera, a senior and transfer student, as the senator for the College of Social Sciences.

Herrera was previously involved with the College of Social Sciences (COSS) Student Leadership Council.

“I feel like I have so many ideas. I’ve learned a lot from the people that I’ve worked with, and I feel like I can bring a lot to ASI [and] to the College of Social Sciences,” Herrera said.

Frederico Madera, a senior, was elected as the senator of Greek Affairs. Madera previously served in the same role, and said he plans to continue prioritizing training for sororities and fraternities focused on resources regarding sexual assault.

“Because I think [training] is a key asset of Greek life; teaching them and giving them extra resources to them to understand and know how to deal with certain situations,” Madera said.

The senate voted to approve Rebecca Perez, former senator of transfer and veteran affairs, as the new vice president of external affairs (VPEX).

Perez noted that she served in the military, emphasizing that her previous experience in public affairs while serving will allow her to work as VPEX with confidence.

“My first idea, my first step is just [saying,] ‘Hey, we’re here to listen to the conversation. We’re important to you,’” Perez said.

The next ASI senate meeting will be held in the Resnick Student Union (RSU) Room 207 on Oct. 5 from 4 to 6 p.m.